pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I have:

- Asus M2N SLI Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Windsor)
- PQI 1 GB DDR2 800MHz
- Asus 7600GT

Can someone help Me and tell Me, step by step, how to set up BIOS to overclock My AMD.

10x in forward.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
I will warn in advance that if you are uncomfortable experimenting and tweaking settings on your own, then you should read a large number of reviews/guides before proceeding and even consider leaving it at stock speed. Nonetheless, I will provide some basic info for you. I can't really tell you exactly how to do it though since not all BIOS screens are layed out the same. Lastly, I have to warn that you can permanently damage your hardware and should proceed with this at your own risk.

For a beginner, the most challenging aspect of overclocking is understanding where the various clock speeds come from, so I'll start there. In a nutshell, here is how the AM2 clock settings work.

You start with the HT base clock, which by default is 200MHz. To get the HT link clock, you take the HT base clock times an integer multiplier. You should try to keep this number around 1GHz for stability reasons. Stock speed is 200MHz * 5 = 1GHz.

To get your CPU rated speed, you multiply the HT base clock by the CPU multiplier. For the 3800+ this is 200MHz * 10 = 2GHz. Since the 3800+ has locked multipliers, you can only reduce this number, so it would be best to just leave it at 10.

To get your memory speed, you divide the CPU speed by the respective memory divider. For a stock 3800+ with DDR2-800 memory, this is 2GHz / 5 = 400MHz. In the BIOS there is an option to specify what type of memory you have, which ideally will cause the automatic selection of an appropriate integer divider. You will want to choose DDR2-800 for this setting.

In addition to memory clock speed, there are options to set memory latency. In this area I would just use the stock timings (listed on your memory) with the command rate set to auto (options of 1T and 2T). The timings are given in the format "a-b-c-d" (for example, 4-4-4-15). These numbers represent the following characteristics:
a) Cas# Latency
b) Ras# to Cas# Delay
c) Row Precharge Time
d) Min Ras Active Time
In your case, I believe the timings are 5-5-5-15...

Other clock speeds to take note of would be your PCI and SATA buses. Usually the SATA speed is derived from the PCI clock by some integer scalar. On good motherboards, the PCI bus has it's own clock generator, which prevents instability due to overclocking of the PCI and SATA buses. On low to mid range boards, and on older boards, this may not be the case.

When it comes to actually performing the overclock, there are two possible strategies that you could take. The first and most advisable method would be to patiently increase your speeds a little bit at a time. Takes longer to explain so I will come back to it momentarily. The second method is too find the average expected overclock for your parts online and jump right to those settings. For the 3800+, 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz is a typical overclock. To achieve this, you will need to leave the CPU multiplier at 10, increase the HT base by 40MHz to 50MHz, and drop the HT multiplier to 4. You system's ability to work at these clocks with stock voltage or even elevated voltage is not guaranteed. You may have to raise the CPU voltage by up to .1V, but I do not recommend going higher than this voltage without checking back here for advice first.

Now, for the safer method. In order to get the most from your overclock, you will want to have your slowest link operating at capacity, so you need to find the max HT speed and max CPU speed separately. You can accomplish this by doing the following.
1. Drop your CPU multiplier to something low like 5 and increase your HT base clock in small increments until you find the maximum stable setting. A typical value for an nforce5 system is around 315+MHz. You will need to adjust the HT multiplier at the same time to keep the HT link below 1GHz.
2. Put your CPU multiplier back to 10 and start increasing your HT base clock in small increments in order to find your highest stable CPU speed.

In some rare cases, the CPU may actually be able to handle a higher speed than the max HT clock of the motherboard can facilitate. This is unlikely in your case since the 3800+ has a multiplier of only 10. If your overclock is actually CPU limited, and the max HT clock is substantially higher than the max HT clock for the CPU, it may be advantageous to run at a reduced CPU multiplier and elevated HT clock. This is something that will be determined through performance tests after you have found your maximum speeds.

When you start playing around with the speed settings, it is highly probably that you will go beyond what some component in your system can handle. Depending on your motherboard, chipset, and BIOS, this could be handled in a variety of ways. The most likely event is that the system will fail to post, meaning that it never gets to the familiar BIOS startup/check screen. It may also get to the BIOS screen, but alert you that some settings are incompatible and instruct you to fix your BIOS settings accordingly. A third possibility is that it will hang at the BIOS splash screen (fullscreen image). The last type of post failure I have seen is when the system fails to post, reboots automatically, fails again, and shuts down.

In all of the above cases, the BIOS settings can be reset to defaults by means of a push button or pin jumper on the motherboard. The location of these mechanisms will be mentioned somewhere in your motherboard manual. On some systems, you can automatically reset the BIOS by simply holding down the Insert key as the system posts. Regardless of how you go about resetting the BIOS, rest assured that you will be doing so more than once.

This is all that I can think of for now. Let me know if you have more questions.

pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I'll achieve 2430 MHz :D

I use those settings;

FSB = 270 Mhz
CPU multiplayer = 9
DDR2 = 400 MHz (200MHz 4:4:4:12)
HT = 4

But I have one question:

On the default settings i have 5653 CPU markers in 3D Mark 05,
On OC procesor at 2340 MHz (FSB=260, CPU multiplayer=9, DDR2=533 MHz, HT=4), i achieve 5581 CPU markers and at present settings:
(FSB=270, CPU multiplayer=9, DDR2=400 MHz, HT=4), i achieve 5147 CPU markers. WHY???

10x in forward

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
It is true that you should run the benchmarks several times at each clock setting for consistency of results. If after doing so your average scores for the higher CPU speeds are lower, it is most likely because you have sacrificed RAM performance to get that CPU speed. In order for DDR2 memory to match/exceed the performance of DDR1 memory, you need at least DDR2-800 running at the full 400MHz and moderate latency (cas 4).

If you leave the memory designation set to DDR2-800 in the BIOS and go for the higher HT base clock, will your system still post?

On my system the memory divider seems to get stuck at 5, meaning that my memory gets overclocked along with the CPU. I don't know if it is just a problem with my system or if it is a characteristic of all AM2 systems.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
So, how did things turn out with the higher memory clock? I'm interested to see how far you can push this chip.

pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Maxim I got is 2.6 GHz, but Maximum performance I achieve on 2.3 GHz:

FSB = 230 MHz
CPU multip. = 10
HT = 4
MEM = DDR2 800 MHz

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
What happened when you tried HT base clock of 260 and memory at DDR2-800? Does the system post with those settings? Also, I don't know what HT multiplier you were using when you tested 2.6GHz, but I'm pretty sure it would work with a multiplier of 4. That would give you HT = 1040MHz, which is not all that high. I have run mine stably at HT = 1250MHz.

pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
When i put FSB = 260MHZ and MEM = 800MHz, system freez.

I have PQI DDR2 800 MHz and I think that My mem is making Me trouble wnen I overcloak My machine.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
This is what I mentioned above about my memory divider being stuck at 5 when I choose DDR2-800. I wasn't sure if that was just a glitch with my system or if all AM2 systems worked that way, but you have just confirmed that it is in fact that way for all AM2 systems. What is even more odd with my system though, is that if I choose DDR2-533 or DDR2-667 modes while using DDR2-1000 or DDR2-1066 memory, the system will not post. This results in my memory limiting my CPU overclock, although I was able to get the memory up to 1120MHz, which gave me 2.8GHz CPU speed.

I wonder how pedja-aant's system will react when he tries 2.6GHz and a memory divider of 6.

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Back when I was overclocking I did try that, and it caused the system to not post. The same happened when I tried using the setting for 533. Interestingly, the setting for 400 did work, but with a divider of 10, the performance penalty made it not worthwhile. Running 2.5GHz and DDR2-1000 ended up being better than 2.8GHz and DDR2-560.

Here's what is really interesting though. My DDR2-1000 memory recently kicked the bucket and I am awaiting my replacement from newegg, so for now I am running 1GB of Kingston DDR2-533 that I borrowed from a friend. With the ram speed set to auto and the stock CPU speed of 2GHz, my system determined that it should run at DDR2-667. So clearly the system is capable of operating with the divider of 6, just that it can't seem to do so with a higher CPU clock. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the memory controller, or if it has to do with the SPD profiles of the faster memory sticks.

pedja-aant

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I think that there is some missunderstanding... U don't have to think abou CPu divider, but about FSB, CPU multiplayer, HT multiplayer and MEM speed.

Tru this:

FSB = 270
CPU multiplayer = 10
CPU voltage = 1.525v
HT multiplayer = 4 or 3
MEM = 533

capnbfg

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
You are right, you don't have to think about the memory divider, because you cannot directly control it. All you can do is specify a memory type, which causes the memory controller to pick a divider. All I was trying to say is that my system fails to post when I use other memory settings besides MEM = 800 in combination with my good memory, but those settings do work in combination with slower memory.

I have tried exactly the settings that you outlined (except a different CPU voltage, because mine can get to 2.8GHz without going above 1.45V) and my system failed to post.

dipz

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi I am also just starting to OC my 3800+ and I have my memory set to 667. I just want to know if there are any issues with a 1:1 ratio for AMD as there is for Intel. Or will performance be "normal" once your memory is brought back up to speed?

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I have:

- Asus M2N SLI Deluxe
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Windsor)
- PQI 1 GB DDR2 800MHz
- Asus 7600GT

Can someone help Me and tell Me, step by step, how to set up BIOS to overclock My AMD.

10x in forward.

I have to a Asus M2N SLI DeLuxe
- Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Windsor)
- Dane Elec 2x 512MD 667Mhz (dual channel)

I have try to overlock the cpu but have a lot of problems whit that.
FBS 220, Multiplier at 10 - HT 5X
This have no problem and XP will start.

But if i use FSB at 240 Multiplier at 10 - HT 4X
Memory from 5-5-5-15@ 333mhz to 4-4-4-12 @266mhz

The system will boot but freeze at loading windows XP

If i take a look in the bios system hardware i see that the cpu voltage is 1.38. And if i look at the cpu voltage tab in the bios i see that the setting is default at auto.
Is that good of have i to changed that to 1.40?

(I'm sorry for the bad english)

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
For FSB = 240 MHz U don't have to raise R CPu voltage. U need to experiment with memory settings and HT multiplayer.

Thanks for the advice.

Now i have trying to overlocking the cpu and in the bios is everything auto
Advanced menu

CPU multiplier auto
The CPU voltage auto (what is the default voltage? and what is de best voltage?)

Yesterday i have a cpu overlocking of 2600+ and have no freezes but today windows XP reboots and reboots..

I have DDR2 @667 hmz wat is the best setting for that?

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think the problem is also that i have have to disable all of the auto settings.

the memory voltage is default on auto and the best way i think is to set that. but what is the best voltage setting for the memory in default?

CPU is also in default and i see that the default setting is 1.35 (is that right?) i can the voltage put to 1.45 (10%) without problems.

I'm going to test your advice and thank you :)

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
You might have already stated this and I might have missed it, but what kind of heatsink are you using?

*Also, I don't agree with what has been said about RAM speeds, what was said in this case (2000/5=400Mhzx2=800) may be try but that same theory for a 5000+ or 5200+ would be (2600/5=520Mhzx2=1040). Correct me if I am wrong but that would mean if you ran a system with one of these processors and DDR2 6400 RAM then you would have to choose a maximum of the DDR2 533 setting in the bios.*

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
so 667, that means 2600/6, or 433mhz, so a bit over 800mhz, but I would run the memory at 400mhz (2600/10, or 530ddr) to be sure if it's the cpu or memroy

I try those settings but the system reboots after a view time.
XP will load and if i test whit prime95 the system will reboot. :(
In Vista was no problem.

Now i work in Default mode 2000Mhz and have to start again.

What is the best settings for the memory

Modulename zx Dane-Elec D2E667-064645NG
Modulegrootte 2x 512 MB
Moduletype Unbuffered DIMM
Geheugentype DDR2 SDRAM
Geheugensnelheid DDR2-667 (333 Mhz)
Modulebreedte 64 bit (set to 128 bit dual channel)
Modulespanning SSTL 1.8
Foutdetectiemethode Geen
Verversingsfrequentie Gereduceerd (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory settings

@ 333 Mhz 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-35-3-5-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR)
@ 266 Mhz 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 16-28-2-4-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR)
@ 200 Mhz 3-3-3-9 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 12-21-2-3-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR)

Is 5-5-5-15 good of is 4-4-4-12 @266 better?
If i set the DDR2 in the bios from 667 to 400 is that good?

I use the new Bios version 0903

Last test but not stabel

FSB 260
Multiplier 10x
Vcore 1.37 / 1.40
DDR Voltage auto (also tested in 1.8)
HT 3
DDR2 = 400Mhz
Timing 5-5-5-15 (stock)

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Is it possible to increasing the vdimm to 2.0?
If i looking to the reference of the Dane Elec memory than i read that the stock voltage is 1.8 and not variable like corsair like between 1.8 and 2.1
Is it possiible that the Vcore Voltage isseu is also on the Vdimm voltage?
Is the CPU vcore on default than CPUz and Everest read 1.18 as Vcore voltage

The problem is that the overlocking stok now at 2575
At 2590 the system will not boot and there are no beeps
If i set the DDR from 533 to DDR 400 the system give some beeps

FSB 260Mhz
PCI-E 100Mhz
CPU Multiplier 10x
Vdimm 1.90
CPU Vcore 1.45 (@ 1.38 in CPUz and Everest)
HT 3
DDR2 @533

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Thank you for the advice :)

System will run now at 2600Mhz
But are those settings good?

overlocking1.JPG

overlocking2.JPG

I use the next settings now.

FSB 260Mhz
Multiplier 10x

DDR Voltage 2.05 (a strange isseu by Asus the voltages in hardware monitor are incorrect)

Vcore 1.40 @ CPUz and Everest (but in the bios set to 1.47 and hardware monitor says 1.55) ?? verry strange at all

HT 3

DDR2 533 (5-5-5-15) i dont now why 400 is not possible but the system will only accept 533 or 667 and not DDR2 400
Is the timming wel correct? See picture frequency @ 325

PCI-E set to 100

CPU Core1
Idle temp 35
Stress temp 55

CPU core2
Idle temp 31
Stress temp 55

Mainboard temp idle 36 and in stress 38

Use a Zalman 9500

OCCT test done and says ready and stable
More test like memtest etc. are comming.

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
not bad, but I would watch the temps, amd's can't handle much above 55, so be careful

I turn the Vcore temp below to 1.45 in the bios.
CPUz and everest read Vcore 1.38

But make it differnce whit Qfan?
Qfan is enabled in the bios and the cpu cooler is at 1676 RPM whit a idle temp of 36 and in stress at 2000 RPM the Qfan read the temp in the bios.

Turn i Qfan in the bios off than the zalman cooler is at 2600 RPM in idle and stress

I going to stop for a few weeks whit oc. :(
think that i buy new pasta for the cpu and the zalman
Idle the temp is 34
In stress mode the temp will be 55 and thats not good.
This temps are whit Qfan off on 2500 RPM

Mabili

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I'd leave that zalman on at full blast, I have on too, and it's definitely on my list of regretted purchases, and cpuz will list the stock voltage, not what you have it at, as long as you have your temps below 55, I think you'll be fine, but consider buying a new hsf, there's an upcoming beast cm for quad cores that will work on am2 and should keep your cpu as cool as a single core at stock (this thing is huge man, makes the tuniq tower look like a pacifier)

Thats good news :D

Thank you for the information. :D

All test like prime95 etc are succesfull and there are no errors.
I know that it is possible to overlocking to 2800 but 2600 is a nice and stable overlocking for me.

The next step is maby buy a new cooler and memory like Corsair Twin2x 2048-6400C4. This memory is at 800 and i think better for overlocking.

Do you have a link of the upcomming cooler so that i can put it on my wish list?