Trouble with "Error Performing Inpage Operation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galin

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hi everyone, I’ve been building my own systems for a couple years now and I usually do my own tech support but this one has me stumped. First my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8500) stopped booting, giving me a BSOD every time I tried. I took out the HD and mounted it in an external drive enclosure (NexStar USB 2.0) and hooked it up to my desktop to get the data off it before reformatted the drive, assuming at this point that it was just a corrupted copy of windows I was dealing with. However, when I tried to open the drive in windows explorer I got a “can not read drive F: Error Performing Inpage Operation” message. I tried rebooting the system a couple times to no avail. After an online search the only info I was able to find was that my HD was probably failing and to try Ontrack’s Easy Recovery Pro. I tried the software and I was able to see the data on the drive just fine, but to get it off I will have to buy the software. This is going to set me back about $90. It’s worth it to me to get the data(serves me right for not backing up my data as often as I should), but I hate to shell out the cash if I’m just missing something simple that would let me access the drive. Thank you in advance for your advice, I’ve found the comments on this site invaluable over the years.

System Specs.

Desktop

MB: Asus P5WD2-Premium
Ram: 2gig Balistix-667
CPU: P4 3.4ghz
GPU: ATI X850 PE

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8500

Ram: 640
CPU: P4 Mobile 2.4ghz
GPU: ATI 9000 mobile
HD: Toshiba 30gig

If I’ve missed any important specs, please let me know

acl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
hi

i had this issue with xp home on a lenovo 80gb drive. I created all kinds of boot disks to get 600+ pictures and videos from our hols this summer and could see and read the data. I couldn't for the life of me get the laptop to recognise usb2 and was left to copying in usb1 mode at 2.5-5mb per picture this was taking too long.
i have removed the drive and placed on a usb -sata dongle and found this tip in www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=158047

use RUN and cmd in dos window - then type chkdsk [drive:] /r which should perform a more thorough check...some claim instant results...running now and will post results

acl

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
ah b****r...no luck for me as it reports im out of space - strangely, the xp disk mangement reports no files system (ie. not ntfs) and that the disk is empty!
looks like i'll continue off loading files at the snails pace

'...Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>chkdsk f: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is IBM_PRELOAD.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File record segment 45772 is unreadable.
File record segment 45773 is unreadable.
File record segment 45774 is unreadable.
File record segment 45775 is unreadable.
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 6654.
Deleting index entry manifest.xml in index $I30 of file 25465.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 6898 of name \pagefile.sys.

An unspecified error occurred.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

G

Click RUN and cmd then you'll be in command window - then type chkdsk [drive:] /F (such as - chkdsk e: /F) which should perform a repair...this worked for me, same error...oh, and by the way...Your Welcome!!! ..lol!

Scott296

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Wow! Let me say an awed and amazed "THANK YOU" to anonymous whoever you are, and to Tom for providing a platform to search for this kind of help. My Fantom Drive external HD came up lame and your precise elegant solution saved 100 gigs of family photos and a presentation for the congregation that had to be given this Sunday morning. I'm not trying to prosletyze (probably can't even spell it) but I do hope you get some kind of reward where you may least expect it for such random (and unboastful) acts of kindness. Really helped us out here in Michigan.

New friend of anonymous
Scott

sss776

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 and the HD has become unreadable. I have been unable to get Windows XP to reboot and so I've removed the HD and was trying to extract the files using a HD enclosure. I got the message, Error: Performance Inpage Operation.

I read your solution but don't understand how I can use the Ontrack Easy Pro software to recover the files. Please advise me on exactly how to use the software to pull out the files. The HD does not boot up if I put it back in the system.

PLEASE HELP in guiding me through data recovery.

Susanna

G

Thanks A lot. This worked like magic

Click RUN and cmd then you'll be in command window - then type chkdsk [drive:] /F (such as - chkdsk e: /F) which should perform a repair...this worked for me, same error...oh, and by the way...Your Welcome!!! ..lol!

skycladnj

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Another big THANK YOU to anonymous! I just tried this on a hard drive that I was not able to see and it worked perfectly!

dannward

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Like the previous poster, another big THANKS! for the help, everyone. CHKDSK /F was the winner, and got the drive back up and running.

SettledDnRoamer

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I had the "error performing inpage operation" message as well and the USB dongle was not sufficient to fix my HDD. The CHKDSK worked for me too. THANKS!

SettledDnRoamer

tech_service82

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

svens

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Hi,

I have the same problem and try to do the chkdsk thing, but my commandline says "access denied" - what should I do?

G

Log off and log back on as an Administrator

hiro_09

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
uhhh,... thanks to anonymous and all of u here chkdsk ery very trealy working and was solve my problemm,... very2 thanks a lot to u alll,...

vanillaberry

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
:D thanks for all the info especially to anonymous . agr8 big thanks...save myself from having to format my ext hard disk and prevent outsiders to view my private data.. oh well .. thanks again.. chkdsk is a big help indeed..

peterisnow

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Hi,

Ive got a samsung 750GB external hdd model number: HD753LJ.

Ive had it for about a year now. A couple of days ago i plugged in the USB to see some data on there. My PC see's the Drive but i cannot get into the drive to see the files.

So i tried plugging it into another PC. Same problem. I right click, properties and apparently my drive has 0 free space, and 0 used space.

So by this time i really started to get worried. 600ish GB of my kids pictures and birthday videos seem to have gone.

Yesterday i ran a CHKDSK... 2 mins in and i see this;

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File record segment 4 is unreadable.
File record segment 5 is unreadable.
File record segment 6 is unreadable.
File record segment 7 is unreadable.
File record segment 24 is unreadable.
File record segment 25 is unreadable.
File record segment 26 is unreadable.
File record segment 27 is unreadable.
File record segment 64 is unreadable.
File record segment 65 is unreadable.
File record segment 66 is unreadable.
File record segment 67 is unreadable.

I assume CHKDSK is still running and i understand that it being a 750GB HD it may take a while, but 24 hours later and i have seen no further progress.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

venkata

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

********* Thanks a lot ************ It helped me in recovering my Dell HDD and most important pictures for the past 8 years .. Thanks a lot for Tom as well for hosting this ********************************

G

Hi

Ive had a similar problem. I plugged in an external HD into a laptop and soon I was receiving baloons stating that data from my HD had been lost. When I plugged the HD into my own laptop I got the same message and the HD will not open to show my folders although it is there. When I try and open anything from a software such as Microsoft Word I get the message "Error performing inpage operation". When right clicking on the properties it also says that there is 0 free space and 0 used. The hard drive will open with a Mac but have tried on several PCs and it won't work. I tried the suggestion from annonymous and the following are the results:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stag 2 of 3)...
Correcting error in index $130 for file 45431.
Insufficient disk space to correct errors
in index $130 of file 45431.

It is true that the HD is almost full. Is there anything else that I can do to access the file, this is my entire work computer on the HD!

G

I am so thrilled to have found this thread! We ran chkdsk and were able to recover ALL our files from our hard drive! I wish I had known about it earlier as I could have avoided building a new computer, but I won't complain to have all my pictures and files back! Thank you so very much!!

sunzi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Hi,

From my DOS days I know the CHKDSK command but it did not help me at all.

Maybe somebody could provide me a hint here.

I am using a Deskstar 7k2000 (2Terabyte) which is connected to a USB-Sata adapter and which has been formatted with NTFS before. 200GB are used currently.

Running tsMuxgui of a large .ts file(HDTV) led to error message.

1. Action: chkddsk E: /f => everything is fine :)
2.)Action: chkdsk E: /R => Until step 4 of 5 everything is o.k. At 82% the test stopped with message: Disk has not enough space to replace bad clusters. HDD running relatively hot at this stage.
3. Action: Using Error scan of HD tune => Everything is fine.

I am pretty confused now.

There is a problem aparently but two out of three tools report that everything is fine...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

sunzi

sunzi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
One more detail I have forgotten to mention: The HDD is brandnew !

Either I will have to return it because in fact the HDD is broken or I can fix the issue myself.

Thank you for your feedback

Sunzi

Status
Not open for further replies.