Migrating from Intel mobo to AMD mobo - XP dies with 7e Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafizx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hi wondering if anyone can help with this problem..

I am trying to upgrade my hardware, but attempting to avoid reinstalling everything, since it would take a long time, missing disks, etc..the same old story.

The problem is when the image from the old disk is plugged into the new hardware, Windows XP barfs to a Stop Error of 7E. But can also be 7B.

I tried removing unsigned drivers, but that didnt help. I think it is because the PNP map is so different, since I am going from older Intel to New AMD.
I also tried doing a "repair" with XP over the top, but that didnt work. It will boot into Safe mode.

Existing system is a HP Pavillion Pentium 4 1.4 GHZ, XP Home OEM.

New mobo is MSI K8MM-V with AMD Athlon 64.

If anyone knows any tricks to get past the Stop error and have XP recognize the new hardware, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks in advance.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
There are no tricks to help you.

YOU CANNOT TAKE AN EXISTING, WORKING XP HD TO A VERY DIFFERENT HARDWARE SETUP. ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WORK!

Just dismissing the fact, for now, that the chipset drivers set up on the existing hard drive will not run the new mobos' chipset, you're faced with the marriage of your key and the hardware hash required for boot.

To put it simply; booting up on an existing hd requires a "vote" of 7 or more to pass. There are 10 items that comprise the hash (a total of 12 votes). All get one vote, except the nic which gets 3. The changes that you've made only leaves the hd, and maybe the ram as the same - only two votes. You lose! Welcome to the wonderful world of anti-piracy XP.

With a lot of gymnastics, you could do what you would like to do in W98 - NOT XP.

I have to tell you that you must do a fresh install.

metafizx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
thanks for the truth. Your info is very useful...

I kinda thought so. I remember not having such a hard time swapping mobo's in W2k, or W2k server. I guess they are more lenient with those O/S's. 8O

what bugs me is what if my Intel mobo takes a dump, and I choose to put in a high end AMD ? I guess I am screwed then...

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
nolo:

Neither of those articles are going to help meta, nor do they refute what my post stated.

The second applied ONLY TO W2K by the way.

metafizx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
thanks for the help.

I did try my hardest to overcome the laws of M$. But I failed..and am resorting to reinstall (painful).

I tried everything I could..since I have done it before, but most likely because the hardware was similar enough and was within the hash code as you mentioned.

As a test, I did try to migrate to another Intel platform and it worked after a repair install.

Then of course the fresh install went in the AMD mobo, confirming further the antipiracy crap in M$. While I understand this, it really causes a major roadblock to upgrade your PC.

Here's the beef...I live in Hawaii, land of corrision, gecko poo, and giant roaches slipping into power supplies. It is shear death for computers after a few years. I need to upgrade.

I don't want to have constantly reinstall after I've spent half my life updating M$. I have tons of programs installed..many are purchased downloads that I probably have key for (but where?), or have to be repurchased. Especially those programs that help keep out all the creeps that ooze into the cracks of M$. Or forced slavery of programs to weed out spyware, malware, viruses, and god knows what else the conspiracy comes up with to pay the little computer monsters to write.

So M$, why can't I upgrade to the latest mobo and CPU every 6 months or 1 year mark ? WHY ??? it's all about the money...

I'm just a wasteoid in the minefield of the computer universe. :roll:

accal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I know this is old, but I ran into this exact problem on a customers machine. It was an Intel Mobo, I replaced it with an AMD mobo. Re-installed XP Pro over the top of existing installation to save re-configing the entire machine - done it many times with AMD's. Got BSOD Stop 7e upon boot up.

I almost gave up my search after reading this post. Luckily after some digging I found this blog that dragged my butt out of the fire: http://www.runpcrun.com/0x0000007E

Update: 11th April 2007
Summary of contributed solutions

"booted up using Bart PE, went in and load the System hive and I can only see the ControlSet001, but I changed the Start value to 4 anyway and restart, and it worked !!!"
"renamed C:\Windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys to intelppm.no-sys and it booted just fine."
"I was able to finished repairing Windows after i deleted the Intelppm.sys in system32\drivers"
"it's easier just to rename or delete intelppm.sys from the recovery console."
And I believe the most elegant solution is this one from 5th April 2007 :-

"boot with the Windows CDROM and start the Recovery Console on the interested partition. then type 'disable intelppm' to disable that driver from running. Reboot"

Two simple words saved me hours of work. disable intelppm

Why oh why must things be so difficult? Thanks runPCrun!!

Al

jc1201

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

You, sir, are retarded. I've moved hundreds of XP installations to completely different machines, and with a simple XP Repair install / driver update all is well. This thread is great, btw, saved me on a couple of AMD upgrades. Whatever you do, don't listen to this joker!

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001

Thanks accal, thank you, thank you, thank you. Went from P4 to Phenom II and disable intelppm was the key.

G

I think I may just about love you :D

gwirish50

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I just replaced a blown Intel P4 motherboard in my Dell with an Asus/Athlon II X4, the "disable intelppm" worked great. Windows XP did reinstall itself but it didn't really change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts