Win XP Installation erroring out before finished

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I am trying to install XP, but keep having problems.

When I boot up the computer with the XP install disk in, the windows setup starts and loads the drivers, etc. until the point that it says "setup is starting windows". After a couple seconds, I get the following error:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed harddrives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***STOP 0x00000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC0000034, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)"

I've formatted the hard drive, ran a scandisk and all, with no problems. Can anyone help me with this???

(this is a donated computer I am working on, but it came with Vista on it and running fine...for licensing, I have to put XP on it)

The computer is:
o Manufactuerer: HP
o Model: m8020n
o Processor Intel Core 2 CPU 6420 @2.13 GHZ 2.13 GHZ
o Memory (Ram) 2.00 GB
o System type: 32 bit-operating system

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
c'mon guys,don't let me down! I've been looking through forums all day but haven't come up with anything. I've even tried to install Win 98 too see if that would get me over the hump, but it couldn't find the CD driver. Help?

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
OK, I've tried that twice now, and I still get the same error message when I try XP installation.

Next step?

Is your HD SATA or IDE? If IDE be sure the cable is connected properly to the MB and the HD. Use no jumper pin for a single drive. If SATA, be sure you are connecting to a 'common' SATA MB header, not a special 'RAID" header. You may want to try a new cable too. Also, how old is your system? You may need to load the SATA drivers from the F6 prompt. In BIOS, what is the HD configuartion currently? Do you know the HD is good? Was the system running before you got it? The HD may be bad. Try a different HD.

Trying to go to XP from Vista you'll have to LLF the HDD, just normal formatting isn't going to do it, you normally can do a LLF using the HDD manufacturers diagnostic disk, downloadable from the HDD manufacturers website.

LLF stands for Low Level Format, which is named on some Diagnostic disks as LLF, or Zero Fill, or Disk Wipe, Etc. the tool basically wipes all data from the HDD including old boot records, and leaves it in factory recertified condition.

Works best in my uses of it from a Floppy Drive.

You can use a WinME startup Floppy Disk with Win98 it has larger HDD support, and you can get either startup disks from www.bootdisk.com

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I won't be able to try the others until later tonight.

To answer some of the earlier questions:

--I did a complete wipe of the HDD's using d-ban (dan's boot and nuke disk)... that was after Vista not allowing me to install XP. After the wipe was when I started getting the current error.

--The HDD's are SATA

--The computer worked fine (as far as I know from basic messing around) when I got it, with Vista running.

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Ok, here's where I'm at:

--I've tried re-formatting the drives using Western digital's first aid operation, but still end up at the same spot.
--I've tried disconnecting the peripherals components with no effect.
--After using various startup disks and such, I still cannot get Win98 install to recognize the Cd-rom (strange, since Win Xp finds it just fine) orto make a difference with XP.
--the HDD's are NOT set up for RAID
--The DVD-RW is an SATA as well

I'm stuck (still). Thank you all for your input! Do you have anymore ideas?

I'm still left with 2 main options:
--get around the error that XP presents in installation, OR
--figure out how to get CD-rom support for installing win 98 to hopefully get to the next stage and (maybe) be able to install XP at that point.

Any ideas??? Help! I'm getting pretty frustrated by this one.

Install the HD in another working computer. From the desktop go to Control Panel, Computer management, then to Disk Management and format the drive with Windows that way. If that doesn't work, the HD may be bad.

--I did a complete wipe of the HDD's using d-ban (dan's boot and nuke disk)... that was after Vista not allowing me to install XP. After the wipe was when I started getting the current error.

Try going to the d-ban site and search for a 'tool' to recover from a 'bad' run of their software on your hard drive. If the HD was in working order before you nuked it, sounds like something went wrong during this proces.

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to install Win 9x... it just doesn't know what to do with modern hardware. See if there's any recommendations on HP's website for installing XP on that particular model. You may need to download and install storage drivers via F6 since there are SATA devices in play. The other option is to see if HP offers an XP downgrade for that model.

http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=25681&page=3

Your problem is a little more complicated than probably we all took into consideration you can blame HP or ASUS or even MSFT for that matter but the link will take you to some in the same situation that have managed to solve the problem and provide links to drivers and such as you'll need.

Hope this gets you to solving your problem, it took a long time to track a solution down at all, Good Luck Man!

vulcan1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Ok, issue solved.

I ended up being able to try several different variations of SATA drivers, and finally found one that worked. XP installed fine after that.

At the moment, I am having a graphics issue, but I'll post that in the correct forum.

Thanks to all who replied! You're life savers!