Status
Not open for further replies.

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have successfully created a USB installation routine for Windows XP using Multiboot.cmd. The problem i am having is that the installation works perfectly on evry machine i have tried it on apart from Dell machines.

It gets as far as Setup is Starting Windows (after loading in all the background drivers) and then Blue Screens with error 0x0000007b. I have scoured the internet and found nothing of any use on this error code.

It does state that when installing from USB to ensure that no other USB devices are plugged in but the mouse and keyboard themselves are USB devices.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and how i can resolve it??

Cheers

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
there is nothing like that on the BSOD. it can't be a memory error on EVERY Dell machine i have tried can it?

This is the BSOD in it's entirety (only get this on Dell Machines):

A Problem has been detected and Windos has been shut down to prent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer, Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF99D9524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Useful eh???

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i can't see that making a difference if i am honest as its not getting far enough to actually install any drivers as far as i can tell. this is what it does before it BSOD's

Setup is inspecting you hardware....
Displays blue setup screen
Press F6 to install SCSI
Press F2 for ASR
Loading Windows Executive etc.
Setup is Starting Windows (hangs here for about 15 - 20 seconds)
BSOD

I don't know if it will make a difference, I've never tried installing XP off a USB drive. It sounds like a fun experiment though.

My first step would be to include the SPs or any 3rd party drivers (similar to how RAID drivers are needed).

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
ok, it's my orgs nlited installation disc so i'm not sure how i would go about adding more drivers into it. can i use the contents of an nlited disc or do i have to start again from scratch??

You could take that disc, and use nlite to add in the SP. Browse Dell's site for whatever model you're using, and look for drivers that may help (obviously audio, ethernet, and such drivers aren't going to help).

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
it already has SP3 slipstreamed in, am i going to have to add EVERY dell chipset that there is?? like i said it fails on every single Dell machine i have tried. lol

is it worth pointing out that the CD version works ok?? maybe should've mentioned that sooner eh??

Look in the BIOS and see if there's an OS install mode. What's the jumper setting on the Dell hard drives?

There's been a few Dells that I've worked on that have had an OS install mode in the BIOS. I had to enable that in order to start the install process.

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i'll check on friday when i am back in the office where we have been testing it.

if this was the issue would it not be the same when using the cd version??

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i was thinking about something like that with it only failing on USB installations. i'm gonna try and get some chipset drivers for the dells and see what happens. failing that phone dell and find out what the hell is going on?!?!?

i'll keep you posted. if i find out how to get it working i will post a full explanation on what i did!!

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
well dell are useless, all they told me to do was ring Presto Support who would be able to help as it was a Software Issue???

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Aye, can you say "Pass the Buck"???

here is the transcript from the live chat:

Agent (Maria_Facal): "Thank you. Can you tell me more of your issue and what have you tried so far to fix this?"
Leighton James: "I have created a USB bootable version of my Organisations Windows XP SP3 CD, this works ok on evry machine i have tested it on so far, apart from my Dell Laptop. If i plug it in to my Laptop i boot the installation ok and then get a blue screen error."
Leighton James: "i have the full details of the error if required however it does not provide any details of any use."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Please go ahead with the error."
Leighton James: "the blue screen occurs when the text "Setup is Starting Windows" appears on screen."
Leighton James: "the error is as follows:"
Leighton James: "A Problem has been detected and Windos has been shut down to prent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your c"
omputer, Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Technical informatio
n:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF99D9524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
Leighton James: "i have tested this on other Dell machines with the same result. like i said it works fine on other machines just not Dell."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "I appreciate the information that you have provided. May I know if you are near the system with which you are facing the issue?"

Leighton James: "i am in front of the problem machine yes"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Have you already tried changing the SATA Operation AHCI to ATA or vice versa?"
Leighton James: "yes, this has not resolved the issue unfortunately. i am able to successfully install from the CD i used to create the USB installation"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "I see. Can I place you on hold for 3-5 minutes while I research the needed information regarding your issue?"
Leighton James: "yes that is fine"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Thank you. Please stay online."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Leighton, while checking on this when you change the SATA operation, did you try reinstalling the Operating system again?"
Leighton James: "yes, it still comes up with the same blue screen message"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "But when you are using a disc in reinstalling the operation system, you are not receiving any blue screen?"
Leighton James: "nope, it works ok."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Thank you for waiting patiently, Leighton."
Leighton James: "no problem"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Checking further on this, it seems that the issue you are having is software-related. We support Hardware issues and have a designated department who handles software-related issues."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "You can get expert advice and support for software issues at Presto Support at 0844 444 3600 (UK) or 1850 406 006 (IR). Presto support is a fee-based support. They are available from 8:00AM – 8:00PM GMT."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Rest assured they can give you the help that you need in no time at all. I will now generate our case number for this incident, just in case you would need further assistance in the future. While I’m doing that, are there any other issues I can help you"
with today or anything that I could have done to make your experience with Dell better?
Leighton James: "thank you but i am unclear as to why it is a software issue, the CD version works ok however the USB version does not. if it was a software issue then surely neither version would work?"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "We considered it as Software issue as you are having issues in installing the Windows XP using a bootable USB. This is one the issues our Software Department supports."
Leighton James: "ok, thanks"
Agent (Maria_Facal): "You are welcome. Thank you for your understanding."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "Leighton, here’s the case number 649693706, please use this if you need to contact Dell again regarding this issue. You will receive a transcript of our chat conversation."
Agent (Maria_Facal): "It has been a great pleasure working with you today. Thank You for choosing Dell Hardware Warranty Chat Support. Feel free to visit us again at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/chat/en/hardware_chat?c=uk&l=en&s=g"
en for assistance in the future. Have a Great Day!

What a load of ........

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Doesn't surprise me with Dell either, they customise every aspect of their machine so much that they don't like to play outside the square. It would seem right down to the BIOS.

When you say you tried running set-up successfully of a CD... was that with an external drives plugged into a USB port?

Are there any configurations in the hells... oops Dells that would affect booting from a USB device?

Sorry it sounds like a really basic question but I am unfamiliar with the BIOS configuration that come with Dells. I can only imagine the BIOS options would be stripped right down.

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The BIOS is very basic, don't worry about asking questions, I won't get offended. The answer to your question is, the CD install was without external devices plugged. the dells will boot ok from USB as we use them for ghosting.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Sorry not thinking clearly tonight.

The XP OS would have loaded far enough from the USB drive to throw up a BSOD.

I've been doing a little looking online and came across this thread where they talk about the troubles with booting from a USB device with a Dell. Same error code. They talk about an XP resetting the USB bus and Dell not liking it.

I'm not sure if you can gain anything from this thread but I thought I would share anyways:

http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12960

lembi2001

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
nice find. looking into it now.

EDIT: WOOHOO!!! It's working now finally. Thanks btk1w1

It required the use of a modified NTDETECT.COM file in order for it to boot on Dell Machines. If anyone wants me to provide the steps on exactly how to get this working then let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.