More Serial RAID Controllers from AMCC, Areca, LSI

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
It would be really cool if you had included pricing of these controllers, or maybe I missed it?

Also if you included RAID 0 why didn't you include RAID 1 benchmarks? For the server sector only RAID5 and 6 matter anyways.

Also curious how these stack up against controllers coming on motherboards these days, I'm guessing they're better unless you fork out the money for a Tyan beast of a motherboard...

Evil_Overlord

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Performance I/O sec comparisons are great, but there are a lot more important things (IMHO) that can make or break a RAID controller:

■How long (time) to rebuild an array?
■Was data integrity maintained during an...
■-Online Capacity Expansion?
■-RAID Level Migration ?
■-Power Failure? (Perhaps even a power failure during an OCE or RLM???)
■Where is the array information kept? (NVRAM, Disk, or both)
■What happens when you simulate a controller failure by replacing it with an identical controller card that has never seen this array?
■What happens to the array if the replaced controller has a different firmware version compared to the previous controller?

I would love to see Tom's Hardware step up to the challenge and delve deeper into RAID Controllers. I've seen what your group can do with power supply reviews.

Datlev

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I have to concur with Evil_Overlord on this. I was expecting a bit more details on test scenarios.

Also, why just I/O Ops/sec for benchmarks ? I would have liked to see some different ways of measuring perf on these cards.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
The joke in the part about the LSI controller remembering bad disks is nice. If you pull out the wrong drive from a damaged RAID array (so you have actualy 2 missing disks will be the end of your raid unless you are running the advanced 6+ RAID modes or you have a larger RAID 1 array and pull the correct disk.

Actualy the realy good raid controllers remember the removed disk for 1 minute or so, so you can put it back and the array will do as nothing happened.