7900GT, Orange box and VISTA

1995_corvette

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I just bought Orange box and once I launched it, it informed me to upgrade my drives.. so I upgraded to version 163.69(7900GT).. so I reluanched TF2 and now the screen is all wavy and there is no pciture on the screen , just color lines. so I rebooted and now when my pc comes back, the saem wavy, colored lines are on the screen. So I uninstalled the drivers and that fixed the startup issue.. but TF2 nor HL2 will not work. Any help would be grate.

PC specs

2.4 gig quad core

2 gig memory

7900GT(yes I know.. it is weak.. but I plan to upgrade soon)

VISTA 32 bit home Premium.

Thanks,

Mike

Kraut

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I guess you have an EVGA 7900GT. Get nTune, overclock the card by 10 to 20 points in in both categories, memory and whatever the other thing is, set up a profile with those settings, and set nTune to load the profile upon Windows Vista startup. It works for me. I can use VISTA and play 3D games. For a couple of seconds after VISTA starts, the screen is scramble, until nTune kicks in, then all is well. I tried 4 cards from EVGA an none solved the problem.

1995_corvette

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
yes.. i am using the dvi output.. its strange... now it affect World Of Warcraft... it is a stock Egva 7900gt... I think it is a driver issue.. i have redled the drives a number of times... now that i think about it... it is affecting Tiger Woods 08, and Madden 08 as well....mmmmmmm

1995_corvette

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I dled nTune and now it says i needed a nForce 2 or Nforce 3 motherboard.. I have a gigbyte p35C... any other ideas??

Thanks,

Mike

akhilles

Splendid
You can try this assuming you can read anything on screen, but I can't guarantee it will fix it. Hence, I'm using 9x.xx driver. The 1xx.xx ones are good for newer cards.

1. NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Manage custom timings

2. Click both "Treat as HDTV" and "Allow modes not exposed by the display"

3. Click [Create...]

4. Under Custom display mode values:

Horizontal desktop pixels: xxxx <-- your monitor's max native horizontal size
Vertical desktop lines: xxxx <-- your monitor's max native vertical size
GDI Refresh rate: xx <-- your monitor's max native refresh rate
Bits per pixel: 32
Uncheck "Interlaced"

5. Click [Advanced >>]

6. Under "Back-end parameters":

Timing standard: DMT
Desired refresh rate: 60 <-- your monitor's max native refresh rate
(the rest of the fields are grayed out)

7. Under "Front-end paramers"

Scaling type: Display (none)

8. Click [Test]

9. Click [OK]

beastoftheeast

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
i have the same set up. and same problem i just uninstalled the video drivers and rebooted system and let it install the video card.thats all i'm using. some games have artifacts and it looks terrible like tf2. just run in a window and they go away. in bf2 the menu is all screwd up, but the gameplay look fine.

and the 7900gt is a great card.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
try installing an older driver version, you dont have to have the absolute latest drivers. Try the second most recent driver, if that doesnt work, try the third... if that doesnt work just revert back to the version you were using. If THAT doesnt work then it may be your card, vista, or another driver is interfering with it(like a sound driver)

Darkhate

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I have had the same problem before

Install the latest video driver
Use this reg file to underclock.

Now Right-click the desktop and select "Properties" from the menu.
Select the "Settings" tab. A button labeled "Advanced" will appear.
Select the icon tab with the name of your card on it. )GeForce 3 for example). You'll see a slider type menu with a NEW option named "Clock Frequencies" You can now control the frequency of the Nvidia's card memory and core speed independently. If that doesn't work, then underclock the videocard somemore.

The reg file
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815#download

I had to underclock mine down 15-20

My videocard was a evga 7900gt Extreme Edition