Extended Desktop Display through a single DVI output? [Dual Monitors]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Can this be done? Recently someone at my work ordered a Dell system (probably their first mistake) that was supposed to support "multiple displays". Upon receiving their computer and asking me to set everything up, I noticed they only had a single DVI output on the back of the card. I don't do dual-monitor setups very often, but doesn't the card need two outputs for two displays? I've looked at DVI(male) to 2 VGA(female) connector / splitters, but they all seem to only mirror displays and not actually allow an extended desktop. (They need extended desktop to compare documents in case you're curious) The card they claimed to have included in the setup is a 128MB Radeon x1300.f (I guess it's revision f?) and when I look at pictures and specs, there is a VGA and DVI output on the card and it supports "multiple displays. I'm thinking they included the wrong card or the card they included is not correctly labeled.

There is another option: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20051108205755.html will allow you to split your resolution across multiple displays, but I don't think it is fair to spend an additional $160 on this item when the setup should have included a dual-monitor capable card.

Short Version: Is it possible to run an extended desktop across two monitors from a single DVI output using a splitter cable / whatever else?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
1st off, I'm not sure about this but I did a quick visit to Newegg and found a X1300 with only one output
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129073

But if you look at the included adapter there is a DVI -> 2 DVI adapter (and also two DVI -> VGA converters )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...nTek+Radeon+X1300+VTK+X1300PCIEDMS+Video+Card

Although this card I've pointed to is the 256mb version, it is quite possible that Dell either forgot to include the adapter or that it is hidden in the keyboard box or something. Double check and contact dell.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
That sounds and looks just like the cable that my second link showed. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it will actually work but it does look like that is what you need.

Maybe someone else in the forum has actually tried this or has a like card and cable that came with it lying around and could try it. If not, shoot an email to tech support (dell, cables2go, or video card manufacturer)

good luck

jaedjohnson

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
We had the same EXACT problem with Dell. How did you manage to get a card. We have a long convo with them saying the x1300 will work. We could use your advice

chelli

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I need to know is it possible to connect a DVi splitter from myATI Radeon 1300 and split the signal between both a monitor and a hi def Tv screen with both HDMI/Component inputs or do I need to change a seting in the Catylist Control Center.
tried hoolkng a DVi splitter directly and attached the Monitor so far and get no display at all Haven't tried to hook up the HDMI or Compononet video yet I'm not interested in an extendend or separate monitor just prefer watching videos from the TV set and utilize the vsarious features as the way menu is setup that won't work on my D-Link DSM 520
I.m running Windows XP MCE on an HP Pavillion and have 5 drives full of movies and TV series I collected over the years
like the idea ofb the way they can all be tagged by genre and full information screens along with theatrical posters that most media centers dont allow you to utilize and go with with only a dos format selection with a limited info screen with the filename = ext and time track whatever can fit on one screen line Boring

chelli

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I need to know is it possible to connect a DVi splitter from myATI Radeon 1300 and split the signal between both a monitor and a hi def Tv screen with both HDMI/Component inputs or do I need to change a seting in the Catylist Control Center.
tried hoolkng a DVi splitter directly and attached the Monitor so far and get no display at all Haven't tried to hook up the HDMI or Compononet video yet I'm not interested in an extendend or separate monitor just prefer watching videos from the TV set and utilize the vsarious features as the way menu is setup that won't work on my D-Link DSM 520
I.m running Windows XP MCE on an HP Pavillion and have 5 drives full of movies and TV series I collected over the years
like the idea ofb the way they can all be tagged by genre and full information screens along with theatrical posters that most media centers dont allow you to utilize and go with with only a dos format selection with a limited info screen with the filename = ext and time track whatever can fit on one screen line Boring

meevans21

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I have the same EXACT problem with Dell. How did you manage to get a card. I have two systems that will only mirror. Please advise as to what to say when calling DELL.
Thanks!!

chuckles333

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Dual link dvi can also refer to one dvi output that powers high resolution monitors. Single link DVI is able to transfer 1920 x 1080 resolution vs dual link 2048 x 1536

The output on the DELL was probably not DVI, but an LFH-60/DMS-59 connector which can be split into two DVI output or VGA outputs.

The dell Optiplexs we had at work 2 years ago had the LFH connectors on the HD2400s, FireMV and Quaro NVS cards we had in workstations.

There also VHDCI that is the latest iteration too found on some FireMV cards. But I think with Display Link and 6 miniDP on one card, these will all go the way of the DoDo.

Status
Not open for further replies.