"Windows is starting Setup" then BSOD

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
This is driving me crazy. I just built my new system and immediately upon trying to load windows xp pro x64 onto my brand new HD, I get a BSOD after it says "Setup is starting windows". Tried each stick individually and still got BSOD. I have even tried the "F5" trick to enable multi processors, still the same result. My specs: 920 i7 gigabyte ud4p OCZ Platinum 1600 PC 12800 3 x 2gb Corsair 620W evga gtx 275 ftw caviar black 640gb Does anyone know what is causing this? Please help!

EDIT: I plugged in my old HDD that had windows on it and it booted up perfectly. Does that mean the new caviar black i bought is cooked?

I originally posted this is the windows section, but it believe it is HD related. Does anyone think its something else?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I did notice it shows the name in the bios. What would cause it to not recognize it?

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
According to the user manual Sect. 5.1), you will need to go into the BIOS under the "Integrated Peripherals" section, to "SATA RAID/ACHI and set it to "Disabled" or "ACHI".

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Tried changing this to any possible option and still got the BSOD... I wish I knew what the deal is. Should I RMA?

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Does the XP install disc have service packs included? If not that could be the problem. I know that unless SP2 or higher is included, installing XP on a ep45-ud3p results in a bsod. This is due to the lack of drivers. This could also be the case for you. You can fix this by slipstreaming the latest service pack to the install dics.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Hmmmm, its a MSDNAA image of Windows XP Pro x64. All the other images they offer on the site say SP2 or 3 after the name which leads me to believe that this might be the oldest version. I will check the disc when I get home and report back. Thank you for your help so far.

BTW, this is the site that has it.

http://msdnaa.oit.umass.edu/Npacks.asp?pack=Platforms

fasterface

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
On my new dell i had the same issue. Two things helped me, either using a slipstreamed copy of windows with the sp3 integrated in it, or much easier for me was going into the bios and changing the SATA mode from AHCI to ATA. Once windows had sp3 installed, i was able to change it back to AHCI.

PimpDaddyJoe

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I had this same problem and it was the install disc that went bad. Take a look at it for scratches. Mine didn't have any but luckily I had a backup disc. You may try copying the disc and see if the duplicate works.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
It was a brand new disc that I had just burned from the image I downloaded at the site in my previous post. I will try burning it again or even try the 32 bit version that I have laying around.

I also tried changing to RCHP in bios but got the same problem. I've heard that some people were able to get around it by hitting I think F7 and selecting Multi CPU, but this didn't work either. Definitely ain't the ram either cuz my old windows xp installed raptor runs prime for quite a while. I'll try a new disc or even slipstreaming and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help so far!

PimpDaddyJoe

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
You may want to make a boot cd that has a hard drive diagnostic on it. I have been in desktop support for about 11 years and I'm fairly positive it's a bad drive since the other drive works in it. A diagnostic may error on the drive and may not. Get a replacement drive. They are cheap and I'd go to the store and get one and send the other back and use it as an internal backup drive.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Yes! I figured it out. Apparently the disc I burned wasn't being recognized. It was never specified on the download site if it was either a DVD ISO or a CD ISO. I re-burned the image onto a CD and it works without a hitch. Can I install windows on this HDD then after partition it with 400gB on the xp side and 220 ish on another side for windows 7? Or can you only partition a newly formatted drive?