Status
Not open for further replies.

oalh

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi,
Very new at trying to fix and diagnose computer errors, but willing to try. My trusty old Dell desktop, which I’ve had for about 10 years, has finally caused me a problem. This morning, I turned the computer on, I get the Windows XP screen, then I get the log-in screen, with my name and icon and my wife’s name and icon. When I click on my name to log in(or my wife’s), it seems like it’s going to be OK, but then I get the following errors—“Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile”. I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn’t log me in. I’ve also received these error messages “insufficient system resources exist to complete requested service” and “user.ini.exe failed”. I’ve shut down several times and restarted, but keep getting “Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile.” I can’t log on to get to control panel, my computer, etc……At this point, I would love to just be able to save some of my recent documents and photos if you think it would be too expensive to fix or not even worth it for such an old machine. I don’t even know my administrator name and password anymore it has been so long since I created it. I’ve read a couple of things about creating a new profile and user, but I can’t log in to do any of that. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks~

Solution

It may be that some piece of malware has messed up winlogonui. Does the same thing happen if you tap Function 8 at startup and select Safe Mode with networking from the Advanced Boot menu? If the Administrfator account does need a password, we're in trouble.

If you can login as Administrator, go to http://www.malwarebytes.com and download MalwareBytes. Install and update it then click to run the Full Scan and when complete, it will guide you through the process of dealing with whatever it finds. Restart and see if Normal Mode is accessible - if it isn't, post back for more suggestions.

It may be that some piece of malware has messed up winlogonui. Does the same thing happen if you tap Function 8 at startup and select Safe Mode with networking from the Advanced Boot menu? If the Administrfator account does need a password, we're in trouble.

If you can login as Administrator, go to http://www.malwarebytes.com and download MalwareBytes. Install and update it then click to run the Full Scan and when complete, it will guide you through the process of dealing with whatever it finds. Restart and see if Normal Mode is accessible - if it isn't, post back for more suggestions.

Solution

oalh

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi Saga lout,
I have not tried Function 8 at startup yet. I will, but I am thinking the Admin account needs a password and seeing that I set it up over 10 years ago, haven't had a problem yet, I just don't know it anymore. My Dell manual has something about clearing passwords...locate the PSWD on motherboard, remove plug, start up computer, passwords erased, shut down the computer and reinstall PSWD plug, then start up again. Maybe I should try this if the F8 doesn't work. With three little kids at home, it's difficult trying to get the time to try all this. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for your time. I'll let you know what happens with the F8.

oalh

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I was able to get in using F8 safe mode, I created another profile, and tried to access the internet to load Malwarebytes, but I couldn't log on. I know my internet is working because I'm using it right now. Anyways, I shut down and tried to log in as the new profile and having same problem--""Windows cannot load user profile, but has logged you on with the default profile". I click OK or let the time tick out, but then it just stays, doesn't log me in. At least I know I can get in with safe mode and save all my documents. Would still like to try and figure this out however. I'm going to try later to get on the internet in safe mode and download Malwarebytes. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

One point in passing - mreoving the CMOS battery wopn't get you around a Windows password but can sometimes overcome a BIOS password.

Back to the main subject, in Safe Mode try creating another User Account with Administrative privileges and see if that behaves any better.

A MalwareBytes scan with slightly outdated definitions would be better than no scan at all.

atkin8

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
This simple solution works for me. Restart and press F8 on startup screen depends on your PC it maybe another key. In the choices menu select '' last known good configuration'' and load hopefully PRESTO it works.

I had so much difficulty trying to do this manually as suggested above.I could not create a new user account or transfer files etc.

You could boot into safe mode and try manually.

atkin8

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

I used 'last known good configuration ' and it worked once . I suggest if it happens make sure you have system restore on .This is likely to happen again. I was also not able to copy files to a new profile .I just had to use the backup hard drive to copy the entire system .
Applications can cause the user profile to corrupt eg anti virus scans etc. Be careful at shutdown nothing is running or a power failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.