Cpu pin damage

weunmengp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I removed my AMD athlon 64 when reapplying thermal paste and it got a little rough. some of the pins are bent. i straightened them for the most part but they aren't completely straightened. the paste job was sloppy too, paste got onto the pins on the edge. at first the computer wouldn't do anything but power the fans when on. now the tower signals that its on but still nothing, just beeping. any attempt at salvation?

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I've heard you can soak the cpu in isopropyl alcohol, which is supposed to remove all the paste. Never tried it though, so maybe do some research. I know alcohol will dry quickly, but give it plenty of time!

j_chatelain

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Soak as in completely submerged in isopropyl for a while. Unless you have a very tiny Q-tip and a lot of time to kill, I can't think of a better way to get it off the pins. You may want to check the socket as well to see if there is any paste left in the holes.

weunmengp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
i don't think the socket is dirty but would placing the cpu in the socket just after removing it from the isopropyl work and revmoing it right after?

weunmengp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
alright so we took it in to get fixed. turned out the pins were only a problem until i fixed them. the real problem was when i took out the fan and unknowingly damaged some of the ram slots. removed the ram slots, now it's working fine