Micro SD card cannot delete photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I have a card that I have to take out of the camera and put into an adapter to copy the files. Then I cannot delete them. I can highlight the files and hit the delete button and nothing happens. When I right click there is no delete option on the menu. It’s not just grayed out – it just isn’t there.

Windows Vista Home Premium.

I used to delete them with this laptop but not anymore. I have to use the camera's delete function.

What should I look for to see what I might have changed or maybe an update changed?

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I haven't tried to look at the problem lately. Will do after Christmas. I have not tried to format the card yet. It is not set to read only. There is no write protect switch on the card or adapter. I can delete the pictures when it is in the camera. And I did not lose or corrupt any photos yet, so I don't need to do a recover. When I figure it out, I'll post an update. Thanks all.

herderby

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Boy do I feel stupid. I used the same adapter with a different micro sd card. I tried to create a folder on the card and got a "write protected error" this time. Last time I was only trying to delete files and the pc just simply ignored my commands without giving a message.

I started reading more on Google and someone suggested putting tape over a write protect slot. I guess similar to old floppies or music cassettes. When I started looking for the slot on the adapter, I saw the little slide switch with no markings. When I slide the switch I now can delete and do everything I need to do. Don't know how the switch got moved, but at least now I know it is there.

Thanks for your suggestions, but you just can't fix stupid...

G

I am now actually having exactly the same problem as you were. However, I cant find any switch on my adaptor. I just feel so confused how can I deal with it.

donnergirl

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

I had the exact same problem and you wont believe how I solved the issue. I pulled out the sd adapter and it was set to lock so i unlocked it and now i was able to delete all the pictures and videos off of it. Pretty silly huh! Try it and see. Good luck :pt1cable:

Tmanparla

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I also had the same problem. First I went online to find a solution, then when I read a post that said 'write protected', it occurred to me to check the lock button on my sd card. Once I unlocked it, I was able to delete from the card.

Tony

niks_sss

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

first, if u had this switch on your memory card or adapter, switch it to unlocked. usually it pointing up to unlock, and down to lock..
insert the memory card to the computer, copy the files first to the harddisk..then take out the memory card, insert it to the device where u use the memory card (i use it on a digital camera)..format the card from the device..(REMEMBER!!! FORMATTING THE CARD WILL ERASE ALL THE DATA FROM THE MEMORY CARD, SO BACK UP ALL THE FILES ON YOUR MEMORY CARD BEFORE FORMAT IT).
test it by take a picture from it..remove the card and insert it back to the computer..try to erase the picture u just take using windows explorer..
it works for me..
sorry for my bad english.

eurolibris

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, how annoying. The lock/unlock slide was what was causing the problem on mine. I tried that before looking on the net, but it wasn't working. After researching and find this page, I looked at my adapter closely and found that each time I inserted it into the computer, the lock/unlock be moved to the always locked position, so I put an ever so small amount of tape on it to hold it in the unlock position, and yes, that was it, I was able to delete my files.

Status
Not open for further replies.