How to unlock a iomega hard drive that is not being detected by my computer

lmorr

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,
I purchased an iomega external hard drive but I didn't encrypt it before I put my files on it and when I tried to encrypt it, it warned me that I would lose my files after encrypting it, so I transferred my files from the external hard drive to my desk top on my pc. I then encrypted the hard drive and transferred my files back onto the external drive. The problem now is that last night I locked the drive and turned off the computer. Today, now my computer does not recognize the locked device and the encryption utility box won't pop up for me to unlock the drive. When I go under "computer to see if the drive is visible, its not. I've tried unplugging and rebooting, but it still doesn't show in "computer". I went under disk management and it doesn't show under there either, but at the bottom it shows as an "unknown" drive and it says its not initialized. I'm sooooooo worried because I'm afraid to intitialize it because it might wipe out all my files that's on it. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Somebody please, please help me!

chambersix1984

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

im having the same problem you are. my hard drive can no longer be found anywhere on my computer with the exception of the device manager which claims that the device is working properly. i didnt try to encrypt anything on my hard drive tho. i called iomega customer service who claimed my warranty was out of date after two months and charged me 25 dollars for customer service and wasnt even able to help me correct my problem. if anyone has an answer please help. and iomega, you suck!!!