AMD QUAD CORE A-6

NGHam

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hello, I'm buying my first laptop.
Trying to decide between Asus U56E-BBL5 (6gb Mem/640gbHD/Intel i5-2420M processor)for $650 - or - Toshiba L775D-S7206 (6gb Mem/640gbHD/AMD Quad Core A6 processor for $698. Basic use with emphasis on music recording-production, and audio quality. Any advice? Help!!! Researched to death, but I'm a novice.

Solution
I would choose the Asus one then if your emphasizing music recording production and audio quality. Core architecture generally are better than AMD in this area. Not to mention the A6 are more akin to the Athlon CPU's than Phenom so in this case the i5 is better for you.

If you were gaming on the other hand, then i would choose the Toshiba because the A6 has a better igp but since you're not, get the asus.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I would choose the Asus one then if your emphasizing music recording production and audio quality. Core architecture generally are better than AMD in this area. Not to mention the A6 are more akin to the Athlon CPU's than Phenom so in this case the i5 is better for you.

If you were gaming on the other hand, then i would choose the Toshiba because the A6 has a better igp but since you're not, get the asus.

Solution

NGHam

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks alot for your answer and input. Which one would you pick just based on overall specs/components? I started leaning towards the Toshiba because of the DVD Burner features (Blu Ray) and label making capabilities. I know just enough to be dangerous to myself, but this is a big purchase. I could not find a definitive answer about what generation the AMD A6 is. I do believe that the i5 is the latest generation (Sandybridge). Appreciate your help.
Norman

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
The difference between them its this: I5 = faster CPU, A6 = faster GPU. U wont notice big difference in real world situations from the CPU, so if u want a really fast laptop u need an SSD (solid state drive) witch is a bit expensive. Personaly i would go with the A 6.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Overall specs, the sandybridge i5 would just plain out beat down the A6.
You say you want to do music production and those things and the asus would just do it better compared to the a6. AMD APU's are good performance lower end entry platforms. They have the best on die graphics out there but in processing power, it is more like an athlon II which is no match for even the first generation core processors by a good distance. Pit it against a second generation core processor, you know what happens next.

So yes, the i5 would be way better for your needs.

justme1977

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

You sure?
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/403?vs=52
This happens when you put an A3650 against a core2quad q8200.
The apu wins 22 of the 30 benches.

TRENDING THREADS