How to install an application in Safe Mode

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012
I only wish to find out if anyone knows of a method that works which allows you to install a program in safe mode ? I am running into the following error when trying to install a msi application in safe mode:

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation"

and the event log shows the following event log. Please note that I am not interested in discussing questions about installing in normal mode. I would like to know if there are any way to do this in safe mode only.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1008
Date: 5/10/2012
Time: 7:58:53 AM
User: ABC-4CF5B2F6216\VICTOR
Computer: ABC-4CF5B2F6216
Description:
The installation of C:\Documents and Settings\VICTOR\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_32\jre1.6.0_32.msi is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Victor

Solution
Ah, looks like it may be by design. This should help.

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/02/13/windows-xp-tips-installuninstall-applications-in-safe-mode/

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012
Thank you for the reply.

Could you provide some instructions on where this policy might be located in Administrator Tools ? I am in the administrator of this computer which has only two accounts one is the administrator and the other is the user (administrator also) which was created during the install of XP. I've tried both accounts to install under Safe mode but get the same described errors. I know that it is possible to install an application in safe mode as I installed vuze in safe mode.

Thanks for the help

Victor

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012

Thanks for the link I did try the steps outlined at that site but it did not work. Still getting the error

"The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" and the same error in event log.

Thanks again

Victor

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012

Thanks again. I actually did read about the registry edit for Safe mode that needs to be added in order to use the MSI in Safe mode. However even after adding this entry item I still get the same error as before.

Appreciate the help

Victor

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012
To just to post a solution that might be of help to anyone else experiencing this same issue. I was able to resolve the issue by downloading the installing the following file WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe from the following link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483 After a reboot I was able to install the software(s) that I was not previously able to.

Hope this helps someone else running Windows XP Professional with the same errors.

Best Regards

Victor

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012

No unfortunately I did not have auto updates turned on in normal mode. Your likely right that XP should have updated the installer long time back.

Thanks again

Victor