Files will not open from taskbar

helende

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
First my taskbar disappeared. Somehow got it back but then my desktop icons disappeared. Now when I try to open say a Word document, it will not open full screen. I can only see it when I run my mouse over the Word icon on the task bar. The file appears about the size of a postage stamp. Same is true if I try to open a program from the start menu. Will not open but icon will appear on task bar. Am unable to do a thing to try and correct the problem because nothing actually opens. Desktop icons now appear to be in the taskbar as well. Can anyone help?

helende

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

I am not sure what you mean by reset but have rebooted several times and it persists. To clarify, if I go to the start menu and try to open a program, the program icon appears on the task bar but does not open on the desktop. Any ideas?

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

When the application opens try pressing shift+win+left arrow or right arrow.

Another option would be to hover your mouse over the application on the task bar, wait till the preview window shows above it, right click the preview window and select move.
Press one of the direction keys on your keyboard, then move your mouse around. The application should be pinned to your mouse and you should be able to move it around. Click to stop moving.

secretary1

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I was having this very same problem and after trying many other things, this worked. Thank you so much!