Testing PSU for stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
In order to know whether a PSU is the source of problem in a problematic system, one can try swapping the PSU. However, is there a way to test the PSU without swapping them? I only got one PSU.

Solution
^ concur.

I use CPUID HWMonitor and utility that comes with MB, but other free ware is avail.
First you need to verify software works HDMonitor incorrectly reports my +12 V as a - 12 V. If the values are way off then it is a invalid value. I prefer to verify my voltage with a DVM, then I KNOW if I can trust the software. With a DVM block lead to black wire on a Molex conector. Red lead to the colored wires on the Molex (red = +5V and Orange or yellow = +12V.

With the software runing and the computer at idle Note the voltages (HDMonitor shows current, Nin and max values. Now run Prime 95 (or furmark in a window) and note the decrease in voltage, the less drop the better. +12 Must be above 11.4 (I chuck my PSU if it drops below...
Main thing is the 12 volt bus. You want as little variation as possible over the load range. You also want all the voltages to stay in tolerance (plus/minus 5% except for the -12 volts which is 10%.

You cannot check noise and ripple without an oscilloscope.

^ concur.

I use CPUID HWMonitor and utility that comes with MB, but other free ware is avail.
First you need to verify software works HDMonitor incorrectly reports my +12 V as a - 12 V. If the values are way off then it is a invalid value. I prefer to verify my voltage with a DVM, then I KNOW if I can trust the software. With a DVM block lead to black wire on a Molex conector. Red lead to the colored wires on the Molex (red = +5V and Orange or yellow = +12V.

With the software runing and the computer at idle Note the voltages (HDMonitor shows current, Nin and max values. Now run Prime 95 (or furmark in a window) and note the decrease in voltage, the less drop the better. +12 Must be above 11.4 (I chuck my PSU if it drops below 11.6V). The +5 V must not go below 4.75V - max for +5 V is +5.25 (These are standards, but also Min/max for TTL logic chips). The max for the +12 v is +12.6 - But as long as not above 12.8 should be fine.

The Big diff between a good PSU and a Great PSU is in the drop of the +5/+12V going from Idle to Full load. This is also where you may first see signs of a PSU going bad.

As jsc indicated, need a o'scope to check of spikes, ripple and noise. You can use a DVM to check for ripple, if under 20/40 KHZ (switching Freq and 60 Hz for AC Line rejection) by placing the the DVM in AC mode. should be in the millivolt range.

Added:
NOTE: Furmark will load the +12 V better than Prime 95 (Dependent on GPU)
HDMonitor
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Furmark
http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-v1.6.5-download-1965.html
Prime 95
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Prime95-Download-76537.html

Solution
Yes. Those are pretty fine.

Here are the ATX specs:
Supply [V] Tolerance Range (min. to max.) Ripple (p. to p. max.)
+5 VDC ±5% (±0.25 V) +4.75 V to +5.25 V 50 mV
−5 VDC ±10% (±0.50 V) –4.50 V to –5.50 V 50 mV
+12 VDC ±5% (±0.60 V) +11.40 V to +12.60 V 120 mV
−12 VDC ±10% (±1.2 V) –10.8 V to –13.2 V 120 mV
+3.3 VDC ±5% (±0.165 V) +3.135 V to +3.465 V 50 mV
+5 VSB ±5% (±0.25 V) +4.75 V to +5.25 V 50 mV

Status
Not open for further replies.