ASRock UEFI Setup Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zez

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Thanks to the collective wisdom of this site I was able to assemble my first computer. Now I have an i7 2600 system with a ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard running Windows 7. Everything works well except for one thing: I can't get the UEFI Setup Utility to start. It is supposed to start when you press F2 or DEL during the power-on test. If I do that all I see is a blank screen with the mouse cursor and some extraneous characters. I tried it before and after installing the OS. Cleaning the CMOS on the motherboard didn't work. Do I have a bad motherboard? I would appreciate help on this.

Solution
PROBLEM SOLVED: Apparently the UEPI on the MB Flash was corrupted. I went to ASRock website and downloaded the newest BIOS. It is working now. I am posting just in case someone runs into the same problem.

Zez

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED: Apparently the UEPI on the MB Flash was corrupted. I went to ASRock website and downloaded the newest BIOS. It is working now. I am posting just in case someone runs into the same problem.

Solution

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

having same issue with a ASRock 890GX Pro3 board's UEFI BIOS. have tried updating BIOS over an over again, also tried reverting BIOS to earlier versions but no luck. just get a black screen with mouse cursor and no response when entering UEFI at startup. other than that it's an awesome board and Windows still loads and runs with all components. lots of settings are stuck below stock value without being able to access the BIOS though.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
UEFI problem solved for me. It couldn't load with my HDMI display attached for some reason. Connected an old CRT monitor and disconnected the HDMI and the UEFI loads up fine. This ASRock 890GX Pro3 is an awesome board besides having to run through a different monitor every time I want to adjust BIOS/UEFI settings. My Radeon 4890 and my Phenom II 955 are running a few degrees cooler than before and I have pushed up all OCing a little bit.

peteyfro87

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
OK, hi everyone, Many Thanks to GObonzo for the clue to find this.

I have to jump in with my experiences with this...

8 weeks ago, I built my new PC around an Asrock 890FX Deluxe 5 AM3+ motherboard and a Sapphire 5850 extreme graphics card. I have my monitor in front of me and my desktop cloned to my flatscreen TV via an HDMI cable.

Everything has been fine for two months when suddenly, last night, the uefi bios screen disappeared on boot up and my PC just went straight into Windows start up.

If I restarted & hit F2 or whatever to access it I ended up with a black screen, a cursor pointer in the middle and the letters AB in small type in the bottom right hand corner. This was even with the TV tuned to a different channel. YIPES !

I was about to open a thread here but found this post and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief.

My first thought had been currupted BIOS chip but get this... when I unplug the HDMI cable then the UEFI works fine on just my monitor ???

I mean... I have no idea what difference it would make to the BIOS whether the graphics card has one display or two displays? OR why it should decide to suddenly have a problem when it had been working perfectly. I haven't changed anything. No BIOS update or software/hardware changes of any kind.

Whilst I'm relieved that I can get around this glitch I'm totally puzzled as to it's cause. Perhaps some other techies could shed some light on why & how easily UEFI graphics drivers are so randomly sent into a coma???

Thanks again for posting as it really helped. This is the best Forum for this stuff I've ever found.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

i am also using HDTV (Samsung 40" 1080p) but as a single display. got to have something to do with either using a television or just HDMI connection in general. seen quite a few people posting other places that they had received a bad board and RMA'd because of this black screen. was too late to tell em to try a different display or cable. kinda BS that the latest technology motherboard can't support the latest technology display. still have got no response from ASRock tech support and no BIOS update on their site, GET WITH IT ASROCK!

peteyfro87

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

Asrock should at least have the decency to reply as this could prove to be useful feedback for the next version of the software. Although in their defence, this may be something to do with using a BIOS with UEFI as that's quite a new thing.

I don't know if anyone from Tom's Hardware would know which person to bring this to the attention of. Maybe they have a contact at Asrock. ???

WarDaddy

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi, I just finished my first CPU build on the same mobo, and I had my LCD Samung Monitor (avi to hdmi) and my Samsung 40in. LCD (hdmi to hdmi) mirroring the imagine and my entire computer was having issues booting, let alone getting into the bios settings.

Prior to this I turned up the juice on my mobo a bit and I assumed I had fried something, but thank God I found this thread. I switched to my PC Monitor and all of the issues went away.

It is nearly 4am and I have been at this I was ready to toss this darn mobo right into the highway I was so stressed.

Thanks for all of your help, great website, knowledgeable people -- and now I can sleep in peace!

Hopefully ASRock will fix this issue soon!

-Phil

peteyfro87

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
With so many people commenting how this has effected them I wonder if we ought to bring it to more people's attention. It might be a wider problem than we thought and people are not realising BIOS' and HDMI just don't mix.

Should it be added to a sticky troubleshooting guide or something?

Reactions: Castor_Z3

kalin89

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hey.I have the exact same issue.
New MOBO Asrock 880G Pro 3.I get the normal Beep code and it boots OK.But if try to hit F2 during post to enter setup all i get is glitched out numbers and letters, an "AB" letters in the bottom right corner of my screen and a mouse (which i cant move ofcourse).

Gonna try Updating the bios from 1.20 to 1.30 tomorow.Wish me luck!

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
These few months later I have finally got a response from AsRock which included a BIOS update v1.31 (not available on AsRock site yet).
After flashing to 1.31 and rebooting I can access the UEFI using my Samsung LCD TV. I cannot view the posting screen or the AsRock logo (just get a black screen) while booting but I can enter UEFI now by pressing F2 or Delete as soon as my USB keyboard is active.
After flashing to BIOS\UEFI v1.31 I lost all my BIOS saved settings and had to reinstall my PCIe GPU but glad to have access without switching between displays every time.

MorePower

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I'm trying to use the UEFI setup utility on my ASRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo to get my bios working right again. I messed up the bios by accidentally shorting my power to the PC. After this happened my computer would stay stuck on the bios screen (the "pre" UEFI bios, the screen that appears for a very very short time upon powering up your computer... it says hit del or f2 to enter bios, f11 for boot menu, etc). So I ended up removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and restarting after replacing it. Now I can get into the UEFI setup utility but I don't know how to use it. My goal is to get my bios up and running and my computer working again. How can I do this with this utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS