Usb flash drive write protected cannot format

sidhu412

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Hello,

I have HP-16 GB Flash Drive and for last 3 days trying different methods to Format it like:
1. Regedit ---> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies. Change the value for the key "WriteProtect" to 0
2. Through MS DOS in the Computer Startup.
3. Through Disk Management.
4. HP USB Drive Format Tool.
5. and now the solution you posted. but still got no luck :( .

every time it gives the same error "The Disk is Write Protected"

Any other Clue???

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sidhu

dimotj

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
i had the same problem and i downloaded hirens boot cd 10.2,boot up with the cd with the usb plugged in, selected partition tool, smart fdisk the deleted the partition,pressed enter to save the changes,then took out the usb put it in a pc then right clicked computer went to manage then disk management then created a new simple partition:)

hope that helps

Rookie34

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hello,
I have this same problem and I have tried all the solutions that you had listed so I downloaded the utilities that you had said if the others didn't work. The problem is i cant get the program (AlcorMP_AU698x_RT_v1.0.0.14_L0117) to recognize my usb drive. I'm not sure how to use the program. Can you help guide me onto how to use it.
Here is what the Chip Genius program listed on my USB drive:
Description: [E:]USB Mass Storage Device(Kingston DataTraveler 2.0)
Device Type: Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 2.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 200mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0930 PID = 6545
Serial Number: 001CC0EC3450ED3167140119

Device Vendor: Kingston
Device Name: DataTraveler 2.0
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: Kingston
Product Model: DataTraveler 2.0
Product Revision: PMAP

Chip Vendor: Phison
Chip Part-Number: PS2251-61(PS2261) - F/W 05.09.53 [2011-11-02]
Flash ID Code: 983A9992 - Toshiba [TLC]

I appreciate the help

QUOTED SPAM REDACTED - SS

Rookie34

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah thats my problem, I cannot get the write protection off the usb drive. I have tried all the steps outlined by user "Samy Youssef" and he had mentioned after completing all steps and if your usb drive is still write protected he said to re-flash it with manufactures flash utility. I have downloaded it but I'm not for sure how to use it.

i appreciate any help at all I hate to lose this usb drive, i think its still good if i can get the write protection removed

thanks again

Mich317

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014

When I searched my flash drive's (flash drive is pqi) PID and VID, it didn't have anything under the UTILS column so I searched the chip part number instead (that seemed to be the most unique among all the info provided by Chip Genius). Found a utility by the chip vendor, had to run it a couple of times, but it got the job done! Thanks Samy!

rg55

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I am also having the same problem and tried the solution you said but i could not find the software to repair my flash derive.Please help

Salah Eddin

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hello guys
I have a problem with Flash Memory Type Transend a write-

protect incurable have you remove the data from the chip

Geniua did not show where the chip Number Unknown ?? When

using the Alcor 1.0.0.14 program this error appears (get

chip number fail) Please help and thank you

with windows 7 I get this from time to time I just stick the pen drive in my Linux rig and format it to fat32 and they work fine back in the windows 7

I did see guys say that can work with xp as well I think these a bug in 7 [maybe 8 -8.1??] that causes this but formatting them in Linux seems to fix that issue for me ??

good luck

Mike_740

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
PLEASE pay attention. This works. Open your start menu, in the search bar type disk mana (and it should autofill to the right one) which is to create / format etc. Once here, it lists all your drives. Find your USB drive, you'll note on the left it says 'READ ONLY'. Right click it. Tell it to go offline. Wait for that to process. Right click it again, bring the drive back online. And it's fixed. Thank me, by replying and letting others know that this is the correct and only fix you need.