High CPUTIN vs. low core temperature: i5 on Asus P8H67

G

Hello together,

I am having a temperature problem in a new system.

It is an i5 2500 on an Asus P8H67 (onboard graphics used) with Scythe Mugen 2 cooler, 4GB ram.

Without load, all core temperatures are around 35° C, whereas the CPUTIN value reads around 90! I get the same results with different tools. The cooler fan runs at around 660 rpm.

When I start a stress test (IntelBurnTest), the core heats up to roundabout 60 degrees, the fan speeds up to around 1200 rpm, and the cputin value drops to around core temperature.

When I increase the fan speed in the Bios, the cputin value does not change.

I am puzzled, either all tools read a crappy value, or only very high fan speeds can produce some air flow that reaches whatever? I hardly believe the latter.

But by the way - the heat sink above the H67 chip gets quite hot - I burn my fingers when I touch it. Besides wondering about the moron who used a shiny blue aluminum piece instead of an actually working heat sink, I am wondering whether I shall take some action about it...!?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Henry

Partsman

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Henry,
I too have the EXACT same problem with the same board and identical readings. My core temps around 35c and cputin at 90c. I have used several different programs and they all read out the same. It has to be a problem with the Asus p8h67 board sensors. I wish one of the great minds on this site would help us.

loweryja

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I am having a similar issue with the same motherboard, but I'm using a i7 2600k. Run prime 95 and CPUTIN drops, CPU temp increases. Also the system just randomly shuts off, updated BIOS same thing.

catoc

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Any news? I'm having the same problem. My motherboard is a p8h67 -m pro and my processor a i5 2500.