USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixx_Foxx

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
???? Motherboard??? How to fix or over ride a USB port? I just do not know and feel hopelessly lost....

Last night my daughter was playing a video game & all of a sudden the PC stated " USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds". We rushed out to a retail store & bought a can of air. I blew out all of the dust & some how it came back to life. I turned off & on several times before starting this USB problem again. Working on it a bit nothing came up but a black screen then it shut down. Now, we are back to the same problem (" USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds")

I have an ASUS motherboared. (IDK what kind the ex-husband took off w/ everything I had) there was a warning stating to go to www.jmicron.com I am like & how do I even get there when it won't stay started?

I do not know what to do and when your as poor as we are now that damn pc is the only entertainment I can provide for my kids since we live in a questionable area where not only are there no PC's in ppls homes but no repair shops.

I'd be very thankful for any help you guys/gals could offer.

ty- Sixxy

Solution
It almost sounds like your front USB ports are now mangled and possibly the contacts are touching each other causing overcurrent.

If you could take a picture of the front of your case as well as the inside - i'm sure we could help you disconnect the front USB ports so you can at least use your computer.

Sixx_Foxx

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
I am posting from my laptop. (My cell is turned off. Welcome to being a single mom.)

The only thing plugged into one of the 8 usb ports (6 in the back) is one mouse (razer gamin)

I feel the broken port is in the front where there are 2 USB ports. My noob skills say they are connected to the intake cooling fan.

The pc shuts down in 15 seconds so I am stuck here. I am broke but stupid enough to wait n buy a new cooling fan or motherbored if needed but that wont happen for several months.

Yes, the usb connections look like that. The mouse is a Razer Lachesis. http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.207541300

The white plastic part on the front usb drive is missing the white plastic piece due to my 5 yr old pluggin' in those damn BestBuy gift card USB X-MAS lights. After the series of problems happened.

I am trying this on my own w/ your sites help in hopes I am blessed for a few more months so my almost 16 yr old daughter has something to do this summer. We live in a bad area. lmao I have great kids n I think gaming kept 'em all out of trouble.

I VERY, VERY much appreciate any advice you can give me. :) :) :) :)

It almost sounds like your front USB ports are now mangled and possibly the contacts are touching each other causing overcurrent.

If you could take a picture of the front of your case as well as the inside - i'm sure we could help you disconnect the front USB ports so you can at least use your computer.

Solution
Shouldn't be that difficult to pull off that test either.

Just have to look for something on the motherboard on the side closest to the bottom of the case that has USB written over or under it and cables leading to the front and disconnect that set of cables.

Just make sure the computer is off and unplugged from the wall when doing this.

powerusb

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

norrisb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

How did you know that? Thank you tomshardware!

Luke5289

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I have unplug all usb devices. But 'USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds' still appear after post. Is it my usb on the board is the problem. How to disconnect them.

rjkrebs

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
That fixed the issue for me as well, thanks all!

Adam Ayub

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

One of the USB ports' pins were physically damaged causing this problem. Fixed it by straightening the pins again. See http://expertcomputing.co.uk/error-usb-device-current-status-detected-system-will-shut-15-seconds-asus-motherboard-solved/

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Worked for me, too. Front chassis USB hadn't been working for a while, anyways.

tonyjay44

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
Me, too. was the front usb ports. I simply disconnected and use the back ones now. Basically, the dust bunnies caught up w/ me. 5 years on the floor in a Chicago suburb basement - hehe - I'm grateful that's the only thing that's caught up to me so far (knocking on wood as I type).

WarrenFarao

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I have had the same situation twice now with the ASUS motherboards.

What i have done is disconnect the front USB plug from the motherboard and it solve the issue.

so see if the USB's in the front are not damaged in anyway.

Dato Gogshelidze

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
You are best

maggierf

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

bsilva771

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015

I was having the same problem...disconnected the USB from the motherboard and now I just get a black screen when the computer boots up...any advice?

lmtl30stm

Reputable
May 10, 2015

I got this error message due to a rear USB port. I had a printer cable plugged into it, and somehow it got ripped out, taking the black piece in the port with it. My front ports work when they want to, so I just unplugged them anyway, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest one. I'm getting the same error message. please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS