How to block a bittorrent client

Zero_Lancer

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
My brother keeps downloading torrents and I don't want him to so I was wondering if there was a way to keep torrents from going from my router to his computer but still give him access to the internet. I have a Linksys WRT160N V3 router.

G

"Hand-------->Internet Connection----------> Yank it out."

More fun with wireless -- just apply Access List setting without adding his MAC ID to the list.

Zero_Lancer

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I would love to just unplug him (younger brother) since I have power over the internet, unfortunately my dad has power over me so I have to give him internet access but I have sole power over all torrents. As for blocking the application, he has Utorrent so in the box to block applications do I put "Utorrent" or "Utorrent.exe" and will that keep him from launching it on his computer? I'm a total noob when it comes to networking.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Wouldn't block him, but here's your user manual:

http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/userguide/1224640959708/WRT160N_V10_UG_A-WEB.pdf

On pages 22-24 it describes how to setup QOS and filtering. I'd setup a MAC filter and set his MAC to the lowest priority. Now when he is accessing the internet (by ANY program) he'll go full speed. When you both are using the internet, you'll have a higher priority than he does.

By setting up the application block on the router you don't prevent it from running on his computer, a properly setup filter will block the traffic from accessing the internet. Unfortunately bittorrent programs and users get very adept at bypassing filters, which means that its even harder to setup proper filters.

The filters listed above by Dadingle will interupt more than bittorrent traffic, and you may have a compromised internet experience in other programs.

Slow him down, and smile while you surf away. You can even edit your MAC to have a higher than normal priority.

Zero_Lancer

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
1. First you need to block UDP ports 1024-65534 in your router or firewall.
2. Add a blocking level and enable "Block BitTorrent"

Apply blocking level to the computers you want to block
^Thats for Bit Torrent only so you can see the task your facing. Remember you have block the ports. And theres thousands that can be used plus Teredo Tunneling encryption.

So heres the easy way. Hand-------->Internet Connection----------> Yank it out. Let him get himself a prepaid dongle with broadband.

Okay, I believe I blocked ports 1024-65534, but what's this blocking level? And he doesn't know anything about networking do I doubt he will find a way around it. In the meantime I put his computer on low priority but I would much rather block all his torrents completely.

Zero_Lancer

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Sorry I haven't responded in forever. I blocked ports 1024-65534 to his computer except for the ports he needs for WoW (he's obsessed with the game). I tested it on my computer first and it seemed to work, my bittorrent client couldn't download anything so his shouldn't either. Thank you very much dadiggle and anyone else who posted :D