Sound interference when computer is working

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I bought a custom built PC from a friend recently. Everything works great with the exception of a buzzing sound. My friend says he never had an issue with the sound.

The sound can be heard using both the front panel audio, and the rear audio port. I also get the sound from speakers, and headphones. The sound seems to have been reduced significantly by moving the power plug to a different outlet, but the sound is still present. The sound seems to come while hovering the mouse over a link, or by scrolling the mouse wheel.

I have tried updating the drivers for the mother board, and audio driver.

I have tried using separate outlets...this made a big difference, but the issue is still present.

I have tried using the front, and rear audio ports.

I have tried using speakers, and headphones.

I have made sure all the connections inside the computer were not loose.

I dont know what else to do? I have a wifi card in there, should I remove it? Should I buy a separate sound card?

Solution
It sounds like the speakers are pickingup some RF signal; this can happen when cheap speakers are placed too close to a wireless device [mice, etc].

As a rule, if you mute the output and this still happens, its interferance the speakers are picking up.

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I have an ASUS crosshair formula IV board with

Chipset: AMD 890FX & SB850

Could there be an issue in that my computer is set up on the opposite side of a wall that my living room TV, xbox, and modem are connected to?

theautumnsbest

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
I had the same problem. It was caused by 2 things for me, the sound gets louder when I move my mouse.

1: the Dolby home software that came with my audio driver. I uninstalled that.

2: I had another sound source plugged into the Aux input on my motherboard.

Hopefully this can solve your problem.

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am still having the issue.

I plugged my living room TV in via HDMI and it too was getting a buzzing sound.

The buzzing sound from the speakers even happens when the PC volume is muted.

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Upon further investigation it seems there is no SCP coming through the HDMI connection, it must have been in my head. There is definitely SCP coming through the audio connection though.

I just returned from the store where I bought a PCI sound card, and a power cable. Neither of these fixed my problem. What could possibly be left to try?

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, everything was plugged into the same outlet...but a filtered power strip sounds promising. Is any power strip filtered?

Good news...I think...I unplugged and reconnected my wireless Logitech performance MX mouse and the sound seems to have disappeared. Maybe the mouse changed frequency? Hope this is a real fix.

Disconnect your front panel audio and any other headers that you might have connected including USB but excepting the power/reset buttons and power/HDD LEDs. Connect your headphones/speakers directly to the back panel only and see if it persists. I had a Thermaltake case in which the front panel wasn't shielded properly and this caused tons of interference whenever I plugged a USB device in

sk1939

Distinguished

They do make them, they are just rather costly.

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Outlet-Mount-Power-Filter/dp/accessories/B000OF4R8C

Possible that the transciever was causing the noise, not sure how to fix that though. Like you suggested, try re-pairing the transceiver and the mouse.

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok you All are dumbarses lol the buzzing is electronic noise from cheeper caps on probly the video card not much can be done when the audio card that picks it up is on boardboard tho you cAN get aftermarket sound or quality vid card that has quality capps if you get sound card put it in slot farthest from vid.. i had same problem had my audio between my vid cars (sli) and it was really loud moved it to bottom much better....

sk1939

Distinguished

What are you, 14? First off learn how to type in proper sentences, it will only make you look like half an ass when you insult people. Second, there is more than one source of noise in a computer, and just because your source of noise was the video card dosen't mean that the OP's is. Every component and computer is different, and it is something to check, but switching slots would not necessarily fix a noise issue if it was electrically related anyways. By the sound of it, your (not the OP's problem) had to do with poor sheilding on the sound card.

It sounds like the speakers are pickingup some RF signal; this can happen when cheap speakers are placed too close to a wireless device [mice, etc].

As a rule, if you mute the output and this still happens, its interferance the speakers are picking up.

Solution

jconway2002

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

That sounds exactly like my problem. I also noticed that when my fiance was in the room using her laptop the noise got a little worse. Thank you!