How to increase video memory

Ariunbold

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I have nvidia geforce 6800xt pcie card. And its own just 128mb of vram. Is there any way to increase it. I heard windows 7 will increase video memory using system ram. Its correct? And i have intel dual core 2.7ghz, 2gb of ram. Help me

Kari

Splendid
win7 can share ram with the gpu, but the shared ram is a lot slower than the onboard vram.
There is no other way to increase the vram, if you really need/want more you'll have to byu a card that has more installed at the factory.

Yeah, I had an HD 4550 128MB GDDR3 for a while, and it worked okay for desktop applications. If you're gaming, though, the weakest video card you want is an HD 5670 - and that card comes with at least 512MB of VRAM - it's best to get 1GB of GDDR5 though, this will allow you to use the highest amount of antialiasing you want in newer games. (Something my current card struggles with.) Grab an HD 6770 or GTX 550ti - they're cheap and will give decent performance on all the newest games.

Yeah you're right - the only time I've been VRAM constrained is 8x MSAA in Crysis at my res.