Core i7 2670QM temperature question

davidm90

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,
I want to get straight the the point. I just bought an Asus N35S series laptop with an i7 2670QM. On average, my cpu runs between 109-125 when Im doing my thing on google chrome. My room is not air conditioned so its gets pretty warm in here. Also, what is the warning temperature for my cpu? http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=349f5zp&s=6

Since that's Fahrenheit, you're fine. If it was Celsius, it would have been INSANELY hot, lol, but 125F is only about 51.5C, so not "cool", but not a problem either.

Max core temp is 100C (or 212F), so you don't really need to worry until you get into the 80's C or (or over 176F).

Generally speaking a laptop typically idles between 38C - 45C. When operating under full load the temps can be anywhere between 70C - 90C or higher. 100C is typically the Tjmax of Intel mobile CPUs that is when the CPU throttles itself down to prevent damage. Generally speaking, any temp above 80C is cause for concern, but some laptops are "designed to run hot"; which just means that the manufacturers were not overly concerned about high temps... at least not until they start to get slapped with a class action lawsuit if enough laptops fail.

You should get used to using celcius instead of fahrenheit when talking about PC temps since it is the defacto standard.

Just for your reference:
38C = 100F
45C = 113F
70C = 158F
90C = 194F
100C = 212F

davidm90

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for the info gentlemen. My laptop generally runs at 43-45C under 1-3% loads. I just spent over an hour playing counter-strike 1.6 and my cpu reached 60C+ even though my gpu ( Geforce GT630M ) and cpu load were relatively low, about 5%. I Just ordered a coolermaster x3 cooling pad so hopefully I can keep the temps a little bit lower. The ventilation on this thing isn't great but for $900 I thought it was a good value performance wise. Im thinking perhaps thermal paste would be another option to keep my cpu relatively cool?

Agree, Unless you have a laptop that allows easy access to everything such as the cpu and cpu fan (Lenovo's 3000 n200 is an example i can give) , most of them you have to take everything apart to just get the dang cpu.