Rogue Dual Wield Question

Can someone clarify something please about the rogue dual wield talent :).

The dual wield talent allows the offhand weapon to do up to 50% of the
damage that the main hand weapon does. So why do the 'top' PvP ranked
rogues have 0/5 for their dual wield? Surely you might as well put an orb
of +11 stamina or something in the offhand if a weapon is not going to do
any damage. Is the sole use for a offhand weapon to apply poison? What's
going on there please?

Cheers.

"Gaz" <a@b.com> wrote in message
> Can someone clarify something please about the rogue dual wield talent :).
>
> The dual wield talent allows the offhand weapon to do up to 50% of the
> damage that the main hand weapon does. So why do the 'top' PvP ranked
> rogues have 0/5 for their dual wield? Surely you might as well put an orb
> of +11 stamina or something in the offhand if a weapon is not going to do
> any damage. Is the sole use for a offhand weapon to apply poison? What's
> going on there please?
>
> Cheers.

You're reading it wrong. The talent says that it adds 10% extra to off hand
damage, per point. Up to a maximum bonus of 50% over normal.

Your offhand is always doing damage, even without the talent. If your offhand
normally does 50 damage per second, with rank one of the talent you would do
55 dps, rank 2 is 60, etc, etc, up to 75 dps from your offhand at rank 5.

"Top" pvp rogues don't take it for two reasons.

1) It's buried pretty deep in the combat tree. Most pvp rogues go for some
mix of subtlety and assassination.

2) Dual wield specialization provides a steady increase in damage per second.
In PVP, it's much more advantageous to have high burst damage than steady
damage. Burst damage is harder to heal. If you can do great big 1000
point crits, you're more likely to be able to put your opponent down before
the priest on their team can heal, than if you're doing the same amount of
damage in smaller 50 point melee hits. Even though dual wield
specialization may give a slightly higher DPS at the end of the day...
another talent like improved eviscerate will increase the "big hits" that you
need to win in PVP.

--
Davian / Dearic (Bloodhoof)

"We need a new Mario game, where you rescue the princess in the first ten
minutes, and for the rest of the game you try and push down that sick feeling
in your stomach that she's "damaged goods"... When Peach asks you, in the
quiet of her mushroom castle bedroom "do you still love me?" you pretend to be
asleep. You press the A button rhythmically, to control your breath, keep it
even." - Joey Comeau on increased realism in gaming.

TRENDING THREADS