Restoring soundmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, will some kind soul please tell me how to restore SoundMax to my emachines T2240 with windows XP. I ignorantly deleted it in trying to speed up my P/C. I'm 74 and know next to nothing in computer acronyms and jargon. If you love your Grand dad pretend I'm him for a moment or two. Bill

Solution
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1503
This is the audio driver download from the official eMachines site for your computer model. It is listed as Realtek but since you mention SoundMax Digital Audio I will want to be sure what your machine is currently suppose to be running.

Navigate to Device Manager. Click Start > Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance > System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
In the device list, find "Sound". Expand that list and right click > Properties. From there you will be able to determine what kind of drivers it uses. (This is a good opportunity to click "Update drivers")

If it is in fact Realtek, download the driver from the page on eMachine's...

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1503
This is the audio driver download from the official eMachines site for your computer model. It is listed as Realtek but since you mention SoundMax Digital Audio I will want to be sure what your machine is currently suppose to be running.

Navigate to Device Manager. Click Start > Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance > System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
In the device list, find "Sound". Expand that list and right click > Properties. From there you will be able to determine what kind of drivers it uses. (This is a good opportunity to click "Update drivers")

If it is in fact Realtek, download the driver from the page on eMachine's website. Navigate to the downloaded file and install it. Reboot your computer.

Solution

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thank you iceclock for offering to help. I sincerely appreciate it. I followed your instructions all the way to Device Manager and "sound, video and game audio", opened up "properties", and all it had there was one tab, "General", and beneath that, only the words "sound, video, and game audio". Nothing else was on the page.
Before I joined the forum, I had already downloaded the Realtek audio driver recommended by emachines---and I had rebooted after downloading it, but I'm still getting the message, "driver not found, reboot and try again."

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

AnxiousInfusion, I just wrote a lengthy reply thanking iceclock for his offer to help---then realized I need to be thanking YOU. So you see what you're up against. I do thank you for your help. I followed your instructions down through Device Manager and Sound (which was "sound, video and game audio" on windows xp) When I opened "properties" on sound, all it had was one tab that read "General", and beneath that, "sound, video and game audio". Nothing more was written on the page.
Before I joined the forum, I had downloaded the Realtek audio driver recommended by emachines, I rebooted, but in the end only got the message, "driver not found, reboot and try again". In trying to find a solution to my stupidity, I saw where deleting soundmax on windows xp was a very common error. But in every solution offered I got the same message, "driver not found". I'm at a loss as to what to do. Bill

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

When I expanded sound and opened properties, all it had was one general tab, and nothing else on that page but the words, "sound, video and game audio".

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
When I deleted soundmax, it said that I had not used it in seven years, so I thought it needed to go. I deleted with the program "Perfect Uninstaller", so what drivers this uninstalled is something I don't know.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I'd like to add that support disks that come with the PC you purchase usually have the necessary drivers.

EDIT: I'm weighing the pros and cons of using a non-Realtek version of the 5.10.0.3900 audio driver OP needs. http://download.cnet.com/AC97-5-10-0-3900-zip/3000-2110_4-161725.html? This seems to be appropriate but I wouldn't use it personally unless all else fails. Second opinions?

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

I still have the Windows XP Home disc, but not any other disc. Is there a chance that the Soundmax driver is on that disc? I saw somewhere in my searching that the sound is integrated into this combination of emachines and Windows XP. I'm assuming that means built in.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

The disk containing SoundMax Digital Audio drivers would likely be called 'eMachines Support Disk' or 'eMachines Resource CD' or something to that affect.

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your time and thoughtfulness. I'll check again to see if I can find more discs that came with the machine.

willyhood

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I finally was able to get my sound back by installing the latest soundmax program. It rejected the first installation, but when I tried it again, it took. Anxiousinfusion was very supportive, and very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.