[Resolved] Windows 8: No Cursor in Startup? Please Help.

gman24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
For some reason, whenever I get to the log-in account page after W8 boots up, there's no longer a mouse cursor. It's not just invisible either because clicking on things doesn't work (such as power button, ease of access or log-in textbox). I have to end up using tab and the arrow keys to navigate around.

I'm using a Sony Vaio S series 15 and the touchpad btw.

I wonder if this has anything to do with synaptics. Though I reinstalled with newest drivers, and that didn't make any difference. When I plug in a USB wireless mouse, the cursor appears and works, just not the touchpad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Can you please tell me your full laptop model and also what mouse and pointing devices are found in device manager ?

One thing you can try...just maybe...uninstall everything regarding the touchpad and pointing devices (except your mouse of course) and the reinstall latest driver and touchpad application...

When you say you intall the latest drivers I assume you mean the whole synaptics package driver + application, am I right ?

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Going to your laptop's website I found 1 driver update. Have you tried this update before ?
If not please follow the guide by unistalling original drivers first.
It excplicitly says that it cannot overwrite old drivers you have to unistall them first and then install updated driver.
Have a look here. http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SVS151290X&upd_id=8241&os_group_id=24
I assume you have windows 8 64-bit installed.
Btw did you upgrade the operating system or laptop came as is?

gman24

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies,

I was able to solve the issue with the following steps:

1. Uninstall current drivers through device manager
2. Restart with default MS drivers
3. Download & Install the stock or new Synaptics Drivers from Sony here: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl
4. Restart again, and you should be to use the cursor at login and see Synaptics Manager back.

I tried downloading and installing the drivers from the synaptics website, but for some reason they don't 't install correctly, and if the cursor works, you can't access Synaptics Drivers.

So its important to download the drivers through Sony's website, not through VAIO update or synaptic's website.

Thanks again!

HollyJ

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Code:
I had the same problem ...but sheepishly fouud the SIMPLE answer was that there was a key on my keyboard that made it work again...it was the "lock touchpad" button under F5...this was on my toshiba Satellite running windows 8...so pressing Fn+f5 did it :bounce:

stevmary5

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks again for your help.
5.jpg
06.jpg

07.jpg

Opsman000

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Same problem on desktop running Windows 8. Mouse passes POST (blinks on power up) but doesn't come on--no red light. Keyboard works.
After several reboots still the same. Unplugged the power instead of normal shutdown. Now it works. I created a new restore point in case it happens again.

talham

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Mechanical11

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Omg. Thank you Holly for posting this. I had the same problem because one of my kids must have touched the f5 button. If you hadn't posted I would have had to wade through countless sites and read tons of B.S. solutions posted by Experts to get to the real answer. Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

jeezydoesit

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

guymodd

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Wow it was the f5 button after all! Thanks so much. I tried about 20 different websites and none of them worked... I am so glad I clicked on this one!