I want 4 TVs hooked 2 one PC

mnguy048

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello,

My boss and I want to have four 55" Samsung Smart TV's spread about in the office to show sales, shout outs, and other related messages. We want them to be all independent and all controlled on one central PC.

I google'd dual HDMI video card and came to the conclusion that is not going to happen. So the next idea is to get 2 HDMI > DVI converters since must video cards have the DVI and HDMI plugs side by side and do it that way.

#1 My question is do i need to SLI or crossfire the 2 video cards?

#2 What video cards will give me 1080p on all 4 TV's

Thanks
Chuck

Solution
I was thinking budget solution. Vga will run 1920x1080 and it will look perfect. You cannot see the difference, vga and hdmi will look the same, especially when we are looking at static images, or power points, or photos.

1 Card to run 4 hdmi monitors is going to cost a fortune, factor in the display port dongles and you’re going to spend $200-300.

2 less expensive cards will use less energy and keep up with the demand of videos and power points without an issue. If the computer does not have 2 pci-e ports than can go with a pci card and still get the job done.

Now if the intention is to run games or some 3d models or something high end like that then something more powerful like a HD7850 is needed.

bucknutty

Distinguished
To have 4 independent displays all you need is 4 video connections. The easiest way to do this is with 2 video cards. You will not use SLI or Crossfire because that is ment for gaming not general productivty.

Finding a card with multiple HDMI outputs is tough and finding a tv with display port is just as tough.

Best solution is 2 graphics card like a HD6450 for around $40 each. 2 tvs plug into the hdmi connectors and 2 tvs run vga. Almost all tvs have a VGA so that is an easy solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125431

2 of these would do it. They are cheap and use almost no electricity. The only challenge to this solution would be the need for a computer with 2 PCI-e slots for the video cards to fit in. Most oem computers like hp and dell will only have 1 slot.

Once connected windows will let you use all 4 screens for differnet things, so you can run a powerpoint slide show with your daily messages on 2 and maybe a video on screen 3 and maybe some internet stock ticker on screen 4.

For 4 independent monitors one card with eyefinity will not work. Get 2 x HD7770 and they will serve you well. They can easily run 2 HD monitors if you are not gaming.

Splitters will not work as 2 screen will have the same image and image quality will be very bad. 90% of the time the splitters dont even work.

Why get two cards if he can get newer card with all the ports he needs and I don't think its a good idea to run TV's with a vga as they dont support 1080p and I doubt their company's computer has multiple pcie ports for dual graphics

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Are these TVs going to show the same content? How far away from the computer are they?

If they're all showing the same content, a simple video splitter will work -- you don't need separate video outputs on your video card. But you may run into cable length issues.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I was thinking budget solution. Vga will run 1920x1080 and it will look perfect. You cannot see the difference, vga and hdmi will look the same, especially when we are looking at static images, or power points, or photos.

1 Card to run 4 hdmi monitors is going to cost a fortune, factor in the display port dongles and you’re going to spend $200-300.

2 less expensive cards will use less energy and keep up with the demand of videos and power points without an issue. If the computer does not have 2 pci-e ports than can go with a pci card and still get the job done.

Now if the intention is to run games or some 3d models or something high end like that then something more powerful like a HD7850 is needed.

Solution
You also have to factor in cable length, how far away are these TV's from the main PC? Are you willing to spend $700 on HDMI repeaters and extenders and long cables? If it's stuff that isn't very dynamic, buy some cheap DVD players and burn what you want to play on a loop.

Get some cheap rasberry pi or little HTPC pc's and remote control them to change the message.

Get some of those cheap HDMI android on a stick PC's.

I see too many problems in running 4 screens from a TV to have 4 different things showings (means running 4 different media players, dragging to screens, full sizing, etc) cables running all over, etc. A lot of video stuff is CPU and RAM dependant too, so you need a really good PC to do 4 1080P's and running 4 media players ,etc. I'd go a different route.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
In addition, to the problems people have listed. All 4 screens are going to need to visible from the primary location.

I second getochkn recommendation. The easiest solution is 4 independent small PC's controlled via. remote desktop or whatever.

Can not see the difference? Riiight...

Good luck being able to send different videos and static things to each different screen and keeping them full screen without seeing a window using a remote connection over multi-monitors, going to be fun. lol.

4 Linux or Android on a stick that are direct HDMI connections, wifi, etc would be easier or even smart TV's would be the best choice. Loop them on a private youtube video. lol.

This card has had flickering problems here are instructions from a post on NE on the fix if you encounter this issue. Good luck.

"apparently on 12/18/2012, Gigabyte released a BIOS update for this video card that fixes, among other things, "Fixed screen flicker problem".

You have to go here
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/Utility.aspx?cg=3
and get the VGA Tools - Easy Boost
Then install and run it and follow the instructions here
http://www.gigabyte.us/WebPage/40/index.htm
to check your existing BIOS version so you know which one to download - F11 or F22. If your BIOS is F10, you need to flash F11 and if your BIOS is F20, you need to flash F22.

BIOS is here
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4171&dl=1#bios "

bucknutty

Distinguished

I suggest the op use a computer on hand to plug 1 of his TVs into vga and 1 into HDMI (or DVI). Set the TVs right next to each other. Remember to run the auto adjust option on the tv with vga. Then play a powerpoint or video or whatever type of media. Look at both screens side by side and see if there is a noticeable difference. I don't think you will see one.

Think or know?

Because I know for a fact that VGA CAN NOT run 1080p and even on a lower resolution, lets say 1440*900, I can see the difference on my 2 screens side by side AT THIS VERY MOMENT. (one is VGA the other DVI) but the screens are identical.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Not to argue but the regular old VGA can run up to 2048x1536. Thats not an opinion thats a fact. The only question here is can the average person see the difference in an analog connector vs the digital connector when looking at powerpoint, daily messages, or static images?

My thoughts about your personal configuration is, perhaps your challenge with 1920x1080 is a graphics driver issue, a low quality monitor, vga cable, or some other force out side of standard spec. I currently run a 3 screen surround and have used all type of connectors... I can't see a difference. I am currently using an older 9800gt to run a 46 inch tv over VGA at 1920x1080 @ 60hz as a htpc and it runs blue rays and looks wonderful.