Even MORE issues with my new build.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Ok, so, returned my 670, still waiting on some info from that.. not sure if they're sending me a new 670 or just giving me a refund. I HOPE TO GOD they're giving me a refund. Anyway, in these weeks I've been without a graphics card, I've been kinda making it through. Been playing planetside 2 at lowest possible settings in some insanely low resolution windowed to like 4x4 on my screen. Been enjoying World At War too, since its not demanding in the slightest. My 3770k + Intel HD 4000 Graphics had me impressed. I'm suprised I could pull 20-30fps in ps2 with the previously mentioned settings. HT is off, no overclock.. Anyway, on to my issues. upon launching ANY game, not even in fullscreen (even minecraft, which maxes with 50-60fps fine in vanilla singleplayer) one of two things will happen:
1: All will go well, play on my crippling settings and fps until I'm done, and presto. i'm doin fine.
2: the game will run for 2 or 3 seconds, then everything will become unresponsive, and this REALLY annoying buzzing noise will take place. ONLY solution is to reboot. ctrlaltdlt doesnt work, neither does tabbing out of it, etc. I even waited a couple hours for it to respond.. nothing. It just freezes, BAM loudes buzzing possible banging into my ears, and complete unresponsiveness.

I am really worried something I did/some defective part is causing this, and its not just the lack of GPU. I'm kinda worried I might be using the intel hd 4k graphics driver for Windows 8, as this was the case for my 670. (i changed to 7 and it was STILL defective, btw) but im not sure how to check or change this. Things that have changed since I uninstalled my graphics card:

1: bent capacitor. I was uninstalling it, noticed a capacitor bent at a 45 degree angle, and being the insanely huge shitlord of dumbassery that I am, straightened it. This worried me as soon as I did it, so I googled it. Looks like as long as nothing crunched or came off, i was ok. (nothing did.)
2: the little plastic latch at the far right of the PCI slot came off. just came right off when i took my card out, hardly any resistance to speak of. this didnt worry me at all considering its not an actual piece of the slot, just a bit to keep the card from coming lose, which I am not worried about.
3: removed GPU, obviously

that's it. CAN SOMEONE *_PLEASE_* enlighten me? I am so frustrated and stressed that this wont stop when I get a new card.... please halp xD thanks a mil.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Might just be that bent capacitor. It just seems to me that since you're in a rut where "sometimes it runs fine, sometimes it doesn't" it sounds all too similar to a broken circuit symptom, hence my suspicion of that capacitor...

How's the internal temperature in your rig when running it under any loads? Have you been monitoring that?