Windows 7 BSOD Stop code 124?

minhajnyc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello all,

Does anyone know what this following error code means? I'm guessing it's some kind of hardware failure but I can't figure out what. I bought a new western digital caviar black 1TB hard drive, installed it with Sata cables and installed Windows 7 ultimate on it and it worked fine for a couple of days. All of a sudden today I get this error.

I should mention that the reason why I decided to replace the hard drive is because my other hard drive(s) were fine until one of their sata cable broke in half and even tho I replaced the sata cables on those drives they still won't boot and would cause BSOD's. So, I decided to buy a new drive and new cables and try it.

So, could someone please help me? I'm so confused and don't know what to do here. Thanks so much.

Technical information:
***Stop: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA8005B3E028, 0X00000000B2000000, 0X000000000004008F)

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

One of the more generic BSOD messages. This generally indicates that hardware is acting flakey, and the biggest cause of this BSOD tends to be a bad OC, followed by the PSU not putting out enough/consistent power. That being said, just about any hardware fault can cause this to pop up.

The fact the first parameter is a 0 basically points to hardware, as that indicates a Machine Check Exception. Could be a problem with the HDD, or it could be a low level mobo problem. Only thing you can really do is replace all the HW one at a time until you can narrow down the component thats the problem.

If both drives were attached to the same sata port, I'd try using a different sata port. It's possible the sata controller is flaking out.

Also, you didn't mention your specs, but intel had problems with their P67 chipset. You should have got a recall for it as this was a year ago.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/intel-finds-sandy-bridge-chipset-design-flaw-shipments-stopped/

minhajnyc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply guys.

I think it might be the sata port on the mobo. I'm not 100% yet but it could be. On the other hand, it might also be a psu issue. I have a spare sata cable so I will try it out and let you guys know. I will have to buy another PSU to test tho so that will take a bit.

What are some common systems of a bad/dying mobo? I'm debating if I should buy a new one?

minhajnyc

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
My specs are:

Processor: I7 2.20 Ghz (not oc'd)
Mobo: Gigabyte X58-UD5 revision 2
Ram: 6 GB Corsair 1600 Mhz (2 gig x 3)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black (brand new) 1 TB internal
Graphics card: GTX 470 (not overclocked)
Sound card: on-board Realtek
OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM (all windows update applied)

A bad motherboard can present a host of problems, since most all controllers are embedded on the board. The last time I had a bad board, the computer would shut down by it's self. The only way to get it to turn back on was to turn the PSU off for 15 seconds or so, then turn it back on. After a long process of elimination, it turned out to be the board.