My Monitor won't turn on..

bliske

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hey guys,

My Monitor won't at all turn on, i have no clue to what it is, or how it happened, it was working perfectly fine about 11 hours ago from when i was last on it.

I try turn on the button on the screen and it won't turn on, the computer itself is fine, it turns on smoothly, and you can hear the start-up process in the computer but the screen is black, (won't turn on)

Does anybody at all know what kind of problem i'm dealing with?

Fast response would be good, thanks.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
It could be a faulty on/off switch, but there's no way to tell for certain without testing. You could try using a different power cable. (just to eliminate that from the possible causes). Are you getting any power to your monitor at all? Any buttons light up or anything? If so, try changing your monitor/gpu cable. But in the end I think it's a trip to the repair shop.

Mkruegs

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Win 7, ASUS P5Q SE motherboard.
This has happened to me a few times, particularly when I accidentally ask it to sleep, instead of shut down or switch users. The first time was naivete, the second time was stupidity and the third time was an accident. Luckily, after the first time, and about 8 hours of downtime, we figured out the solution - if by nothing more than dumb luck and desperation.

There is a coin sized battery on your motherboard which provides enough juice to preserve you bios. I was about to go an buy a new motherboard when, for shits, I took out that battery and left it out for 10 minutes or so. When I popped it back it and fired it up (After having shut down, disconnected, trouble shot a new idea, made adjustments, reconnected and powered up about 6-8 times to no avail) it worked perfectly. That little battery, the size of a US quarter dollar, acted like a full system reset when I took it out and plugged it back in.

You may have to reset your bios. You will defiantly have to rest your time and date.

PS... When assessing the problem, the fans were running, HD was whirring... the only thing that was not working were my monitors. Sound worked.
I tool my case door off and checked all the connections. Cleaned it. Checked my power source (Light was on). Everything was in order inside my case, and that scared me, because it was either my video card or my motherboard. Video card had power... That I put my computer to 'Sleep' should have nothing to do with my video card. I was convinced that I blew my motherboard... then I took out the battery and fired her up.