"Failure to display security and shut down options" (Windows 7, 64bit)

zephead

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
When gaming or even performing simple task, programs on my Windows 7 64-bit stop responding/freeze. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't do anything and the system bogs down really slow, after which point the screen turns black with just the mouse cursor, and after a while this error message pops up:

Failure to display security and shut down options
The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch.

Oddly enough once I restart the issue is fine and can run smoothly for hours on end. Then out the blue it happens again... It's totally random :( .

I just upgraded from XP Pro 64bit 3 days ago to Windows 7 64bit after my 5yr old HDD died and I replaced it with this :

Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136697

Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm really lost as to what I should do to fix the problem.

Solution
Try this.....

1. Restart the computer.

2. Start tapping F8 key.

3. You will get advanced boot option window.

4. Select the option “Safe mode”.

5. Once you're logged in, click Start, All Programs, Accessories.

6. Right click on Command Prompt and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

7. Type "netsh winsock reset" and click Enter Key

8. You should see a message that the Winsock was reset, reboot for changes to take effect.

9. Restart.
:bounce:

Hope this works for you as it fixed about 45 systems that have been doing the same thing

DKD

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Try this.....

1. Restart the computer.

2. Start tapping F8 key.

3. You will get advanced boot option window.

4. Select the option “Safe mode”.

5. Once you're logged in, click Start, All Programs, Accessories.

6. Right click on Command Prompt and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

7. Type "netsh winsock reset" and click Enter Key

8. You should see a message that the Winsock was reset, reboot for changes to take effect.

9. Restart.
:bounce:

Hope this works for you as it fixed about 45 systems that have been doing the same thing

Solution

toronaga07

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I found the reason my Windows 7 machine was doing this. The NTUSER.DAT file was corrupted which probably explains why the login process takes so long since this contains user profile info.

I ran the Windows utility to scan and fix the disk and it fixed it. That's also why I know what file was corrupted - the utility reported this.

markharvey

Reputable
May 29, 2015
This is a good idea. I'm doing it now. It's probably been scanning for 8 or so hours, which is a bit troubling, but it is catching some bad clusters. Hope it works.