Clean install from upgrade cd

Is it possible to do a clean installaltion of Windows (on a formatted
drive) from a WinXP Pro UK upgrade cd, and use a Win98SE NL cd as proof
for eligibility?

--
Adriaan

Hi Adriaan,

It will work on the US version, and I see no reason it would not on
the UK version.
If the Win98SE CD is a restore disk it may not work.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Adriaan wrote:
> Is it possible to do a clean installaltion of Windows (on a formatted
> drive) from a WinXP Pro UK upgrade cd, and use a Win98SE NL cd as proof
> for eligibility?

It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bert Kinney wrote:
> Hi Adriaan,
>
> It will work on the US version, and I see no reason it would not on
> the UK version.
> If the Win98SE CD is a restore disk it may not work.

So it doesn't matter that the two OS are not of the same language?
(English vs. Dutch)

--
Adriaan

I am not sure of that, so I am checking further.

--

Adriaan wrote:

> So it doesn't matter that the two OS are not of the same language?
> (English vs. Dutch)

Yes, that matters very much.

You cannot upgrade or convert from one language version of the OS
to another, so you'll have to purchase and use the full version of
WinXP (in whatever language you want) to perform a clean installation.

Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce,

He wants to do a clean install, and use the previous language version as proof of ownership. This may well work.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.