Bad system config info error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccullen

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,

Attempting to install win 7 on a cpu that is currently running linux, I am getting a blue screen with "bad system config info error".

ccullen

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
a problem has been detected and windows has been shut doe to prevent damage... BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
Check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed....ask for updates

**** STOP: 0x00000074 (0x000000000000002,0XFFFFF88003941B20,0X000000000000002, 0XFFFFFFFFFFC0000009A)

Bug Check 0x74: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check has a value of 0x00000074. This bug check indicates that there is an error in the registry.

Cause

The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check occurs if the SYSTEM hive is corrupt. However, this corruption is unlikely, because the boot loader, known as NT Loader (NTLDR) in versions of Windows prior to Vista, checks a hive for corruption when it loads the hive.

This bug check can also occur if some critical registry keys and values are missing. These keys and values might be missing if a user manually edited the registry.
Resolving the Problem

Try restarting the computer by selecting "last known good configuration" in the boot options.

If the restart does not fix the problem, the registry damage is too extensive. You must reinstall the OS or use the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) that you previously created by using the Windows Backup tool.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795800.aspx

deviousChi

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
if anyone is still having this issue,

this is how you fix it

i know its not on topic, but this is the first forum that comes up when you search bsod bad config

i had to:
1. use a friends windows 7 to create a repair disk
2. set bios to boot from dvd drive instead of hard drive
3. cancel microsofts autofix tool and open the msdos command prompt after booting from the repair disk
4. realize that the repair tool makes a temporary drive called "X://" that you start in
5. cd over to the "D" drive which was REALLY my "C" drive.. lol wtf
6. type in bcdboot d:\windows /s c:\
7. reboot, you'll be fine.

rkorell

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi Team,

I was faced with this error four times in the last three weeks.
In the meantime I'm on the road with extra-HD and screw driver to replace the errorneous HD if the unrecoverable BSOD occurs.
This is VERY annoying.
Does anybody here have a hint for for the reason of this?
I'm working on a Lenovo W510 with Windows 7.
The configuration runs for at least five month.
Suddenly these BSODs apears and I have no clue for the reason.
The same configuration (software/tools etc.) runs for several years.
No viruses etc.
Purely bought and licensed software.

Any hint???

I will try the workflow suggested by deviousChi (thanks for this) but I would like to understand the root cause to avoid the fear regarding shutdown and restart.
Thanks a lot for any advice!
Kindes regards,
Ralf

Status
Not open for further replies.