happening guys?? Appreciate any ideas, its driving me mad!! Thanks

From: "Carl Sheldon" <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk>

| Ive got a broadband modem (speedtouch 330). Ive installed all the ISP
| companies software. When I try and connect I get an error 680 - cant find a
| ring tone!! Then I picked up my phone to check i did have a tone and by
| chance the modem connected. Tried it 10 times and the same everytime. Whats
| happening guys?? Appreciate any ideas, its driving me mad!! Thanks

This is not a WinXP problem.
You should ask such questions on DSL in a News Group such as; comp.dcom.xdsl

You are most likely a PPPoE DSL subscriber. Get a Cable/DSL Modem such as the Linksys
BEFSR41 and then remove *all* the ISP provided software as it will NOT be needed. The
Router will make the PPPoE connection not the PC. There are many other benefits to using
such a device such as sharing the one WAN address with up to 253 LAN nodes (which can
include the Playstation/2 and/or XBox) and the Router will act as a simplistic FireWall.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Carl Sheldon wrote:
> Ive got a broadband modem (speedtouch 330). Ive installed all the ISP
> companies software. When I try and connect I get an error 680 - cant find a
> ring tone!! Then I picked up my phone to check i did have a tone and by
> chance the modem connected. Tried it 10 times and the same everytime. Whats
> happening guys?? Appreciate any ideas, its driving me mad!! Thanks

Sounds like a dodgy filter. You should have got two at least with the
modem, stick the other one in. Remove any phone extensions first to
pinpoint the problem.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

Try connecting without the filter for starters (plug it directly into the
wall) and check that you have had your line split yet by the telephone
company

I use a speedtouch 530 on a Telstra DSL plan and when i first connected it
didn't seem to work

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

"Carl Sheldon" <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ive got a broadband modem (speedtouch 330). Ive installed all the ISP
> companies software. When I try and connect I get an error 680 - cant find
> a ring tone!! Then I picked up my phone to check i did have a tone and by
> chance the modem connected. Tried it 10 times and the same everytime.
> Whats happening guys?? Appreciate any ideas, its driving me mad!! Thanks

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

Hi, does a ADSL modem actually look for a ring tone when it's running a WAN?
Mine doesn't so it sounds like IE is still configured to look for a dialup
modem, go to tool/internet options/connections and make sure that never dial
a connection is checked then go to Lan settings and uncheck everyting in
there...
ChrisC

From: "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com>

| Hi, does a ADSL modem actually look for a ring tone when it's running a WAN?
| Mine doesn't so it sounds like IE is still configured to look for a dialup
| modem, go to tool/internet options/connections and make sure that never dial
| a connection is checked then go to Lan settings and uncheck everyting in
| there...
| ChrisC

No. This shows a Dial-Up icon type mistake since a PPPoE connector works simiarly as a DUN
connector (PPP).

That is why I suggest a Router as it off loads the PPPoE connector from the PC to the Router
and NO ISP provided software is needed and it amkes the TCP/IP connection OS independent
allowing *any* TCP/IP compliant device be connected to the LAN side of the Router.