I can\'t burn CD\'s anymore. Could before. Windows media player, windows 7

dancolclaser

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have a Dell computer running windows 7. For some reason i cannot burn a CD anymore from my library. I used to be able to without any problem. I have run fixit and it say's my cd drive is OK. I can play CD both from my library and off cd's I load.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

Hi

does this apply to CD-r and DVD-r ?
if you can read cd's & dvd's and write dvd-r I would suspect hardware relating to CD laser

but if you can read CD's & DVD's but not write to CD-r and DVD-r I would suspect registry corruption or a policy set to deny writing

I presume you ran the Microsoft upper filter driver fixit without success.

Putting the questionable DVD drive into another PC will enable you to test if for hardware faults before replacing it.
Most modern DVD drives are SATA interface you could swap it with existing DVD drive or possible add as an additional DVD drive

The alternative test method would be to use a bootable WinPE3 or Linux usb memory stick to see if that operating system can burn CD's
(bypassing a possibly corrupt registry)

regards

Mike Barnes

dancolclaser

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Guy's. Thanks for all the reply's. I tried everything and then it came down to a really, really stupid mistake on my part. It's hard to admit but the only problem was my computer was not recognizing the CD-R BRAND. I had been using TDK's to burn my music and ran out of them. Bought some Sony and another brand without even thinking they would not be recognized by my computer. WRONG!!!!!! By accident found one TDK that I hadn't used and tried it. It worked!!!!!! So, all I can say is if anyone has this same problem check the compatibility of the CD-R. Thanks again for the suggestions.

HMayrant

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Dan: what exatly did you do to get your PC to recognize the brand of CD-R's you were using? Is there a path you can give me to enter the brand names, etc... and why wouldn't a DELL PC with Windows 7 just rexcognize ALL brands of valid CD-R blank disks??? an you make your resolution more clear? What exactly did you do to be able to use another CD brand??? I have the exact same problem and am ready to throw the PC out the window!!!
Thanks, Howard Mayrant My email is: howardmayrant@cox.net

mech259

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014

DJ ALibi

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014

glad i ran across this i thought i was going nuts, lol, makes sense, trying to get everyone to upgrade i guess, i cant burn cd's worth a jack from my dell, or my gf's toshiba, (win 7) tried 8 different apps and ran through 4 different brands of cds, scanned my files for corupt, even tried "mixing" with my dj software and buning on big file via wave, converted all files, checked updates for my machine, i spent a whole day off on a mission that was never accomplished, was trying to burn a close friend a cd for their birthday, guess they will have to settle with a thumb drive

ey122675

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
I moved to California from Illinois in 2013. I could burn Photos and Music directly from Computer to blank CD or DVD easily using Windows. After I moved, I was unable to. There is some kind of blocking device used for California state. I think it is a tool for Hollywood tMusic Industry o block copying a CD of MUSIC to a blank disc. They make you BUY the CD versus COPY a CD borrowed from the LIBRARY for example. I talked to a Best Buy worker for advice. He told me to buy $40 Roxio or NERO software. I did and it worked. Buy 1 and use.