Windows Explorer crashing - shlwapi.dll

Hi

Recently, Windows Explorer has started to crash when I try to browse certain
directories on my machine. It is completely repeatable and completely
frustrating!
The directories in question contain some (ok) jpg files.

I get the "error has occured" message, and when I ask for more details, it
talks about shlwapi.dll

I had a quick look on support.microsoft.com, and there was a similar
problem, the fix was to change a registry entry that does not occur on my
machine (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
)

I'm running XP home on an HP P4 machine. Everything checked with Ad-Aware,
SpyBot, Norton and MS SpyWare.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

I've seen this error reported for filetypes that use media player, or other viewer (and thumbnails are the view setting)

It's usually caused by a corrupt thumbs.db (hidden) file, in those folders. It can be deleted and recreated.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've seen this error reported for filetypes that use media player, or
> other viewer (and thumbnails are the view setting)
>
> It's usually caused by a corrupt thumbs.db (hidden) file, in those
> folders. It can be deleted and recreated.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)

> "Tony Rush" <NOtony_w_rushSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Recently, Windows Explorer has started to crash when I try to browse
>> certain directories on my machine. It is completely repeatable and
>> completely frustrating!
>> The directories in question contain some (ok) jpg files.
>>
>> I get the "error has occured" message, and when I ask for more details,
>> it talks about shlwapi.dll
>>
>> I had a quick look on support.microsoft.com, and there was a similar
>> problem, the fix was to change a registry entry that does not occur on my
>> machine (
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>> )
>>
>> I'm running XP home on an HP P4 machine. Everything checked with
>> Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Norton and MS SpyWare.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Many thanks
Thanks Mark.

I've tried this, but it's still broken. Explorer also says that it has
crashed in "ntdll.dll" as well as "shlwapi.dll". Any other ideas out there?

many thanks

Tony

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW

--

"Tony Rush" <NOtony_w_rushSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:d0i4ll$r8k$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvJjKEyIFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I've seen this error reported for filetypes that use media player, or other viewer (and thumbnails are the view setting)
>>
>> It's usually caused by a corrupt thumbs.db (hidden) file, in those folders. It can be deleted and recreated.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>
>> "Tony Rush" <NOtony_w_rushSPAM@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:d0h6gt$q3v$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Recently, Windows Explorer has started to crash when I try to browse certain directories on my machine. It is completely
>>> repeatable and completely frustrating!
>>> The directories in question contain some (ok) jpg files.
>>>
>>> I get the "error has occured" message, and when I ask for more details, it talks about shlwapi.dll
>>>
>>> I had a quick look on support.microsoft.com, and there was a similar problem, the fix was to change a registry entry that does
>>> not occur on my machine ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer )
>>>
>>> I'm running XP home on an HP P4 machine. Everything checked with Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Norton and MS SpyWare.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
> Thanks Mark.
>
> I've tried this, but it's still broken. Explorer also says that it has crashed in "ntdll.dll" as well as "shlwapi.dll". Any
> other ideas out there?
>
> many thanks
>
> Tony

Did you submit the error report to MS?

If the problem is reproducible you can also try running IE under
debugger. Open command prompt then run this:

c:\>ntsd -g -G %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

When you hit the crash IE window will freeze and you will get
a prompt in the debugger window. Type these commands at the
prompt and post the output:

0:000> .symfix
0:000> .reload
0:000> r