Error-Checking

colours

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello, I am having problems with my error checking. It tells me I should schedule a disk check. (this i assume means when it reboots)
But when I reboot my laptop, nothing happens.

I tried to search if someone else has a problem like me, but i didnt find anything.

Please help!
Thank you.

I have a toshiba satellite with windows 7 enterprise.

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi. Did you Right click on your hard drive icon (C) then click properties?.Click on tools / error checking /check now/ It will say it can't do it while the system is in use , do you want to schedule a check. click schedule error check and restart you computer. It should then do a check for you. Instead You could always go to Start / programs / accessories. Right click Command prompt and click Run as administrtor. A window will appear with a black background and some writing. Just type in sfc /scannow (leave a space after sfc) then press enter. A system check will now be done. If it repairs any files restart your computer. It may or may not ask you to restart any way, but it is always better to do it.

colours

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Yes I did right click and do that. Then it told me to schedule a check.
When I restart my computer, it just restarts, nothing happens.

Ok I will try that. Thank you.

---

Ok. I tried it and after the verification phase of the system scan was completed, it says:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I tried to look at the details, but it says Access is Denied.
How do I fix these corrupt files?
Thank you!

-edit
i figured out how to read the file. its so long! ):

ricky_critic

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

Try booting from safe mode (hit F8 when booting)
do you have the win 7 dvd so we can do some repairs"

mibix19

Distinguished
Have a look in Start/programs. Hopefully Toshiba will have put a program on to create a restore disc. If you were to use this it will restore your computer to the way it was when you got it. If there isn't one, go to Control panel / Backup and restore. In the window on the left, it will say create a system repair disc. This will make a cd with all the files to repair windows. If you were to use this disc it will repair windows files only. Any programs you have on may have to be reinstalled, but your data/docs/ music/ ect will hopefully remain intact .Either way I suggest you back all your stuff up as soon as possible. You did not say why you wanted an error check. Are you having problems? If it is running OK I personally wouldn't mess.But I would still get a restore disc made in case of problems.

colours

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
oh it is because windows told me i have bad sectors in a maintenence check and it told me to run an error check.

will what you told me work if i didnt have windows 7 originally?
it is because I used to have vista, but it kept crashing a lot, even though i only do school work on my laptop. It was really annoying.
so a friend of mine reformatted my laptop and gave me windows 7 enterprise.
i dont see him anymore since it is the summer and this is why i dont have access to a DVD or CD. (and i need to get some summer school work done so this is why i cannot wait until the fall)

so originally my toshiba had vista x64
but now it has windows 7 enterprise x32

):

mibix19

Distinguished
Having bad sectors is usually nothing to worry about unless you have lots, and keep getting more.This is a sign that your hard drive may be failing,so doing a file repair may not do much good as you can't fix bad sectors effectively. Please make sure you have backed up your important stuff. If you have the Toshiba restore program on, it will take you back to windows Vista(if he formatted your hard drive it should have gone).You will have to therefore make a System file repair disc From the control panel/ backup and restore.