How To Make USB Drive Bootable From ISO Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Actually, the easiest method is to use the Windows7 USB/DVD Tool from Microsoft. Put your thumb drive in a USB port, run the tool, point it to where your ISO file is, and it will format the drive and make it bootable.

Now that's the first part. The next step you have to do is to reboot your system and carefully look for the key you need to press to change your boot options (usually, it's the ESC key, but yours may differ- keep rebooting until you figure it out). Once you've pressed the magic key, select HDD and then select the USB drive you used.

That's it!

PS- You can also change your boot order in the BIOS, but why go through that trouble when you only need to do it this one time?

PPS- Since you're probably doing this to install an OS, when the PC reboots the first time during setup, remove the USB drive.

owoturo timi

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
You can download win to bootic search for it on google just put the os files in you pendrive drive and launch win to bootic follow the onscreen instructions very easy to use and its the best so far no need for iso extract it and just put the files I promise it will work it works for me all the time no lie

igor254

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ here is solution for your problem u all have here, watch tutorial download it and make your usb bootable. U only need usb bigger than 4GB because OS is max 3,7GB so u need empty USB of 4GB or more, u need deamon tools to make a virtual cd so win2flash can rekognize OS aln folow the steps on tutorial od win2flash and u will be over for 15 minutes

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
guys, guys, guys...while the solutions you proffer will work, they require too much work to get working! the simplest and easiest way to complete this task is the Win7 DVD/USB Tool. I don't recall if you even have to install the thing to get it working.

but, this method will only work for Windows OS's. I could make a USB drive bootable via CLI and have it done faster than any of these other methods (especially when you consider having to download, install, configure, and then run through the process).

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Solution

infam0us

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Great choice man... thanks for sharing this.. Best iso to usb program ive used so far..

breakingthrough

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Pen Drive Linux is an awesome tool, the link is already posted here, I'm just chiming in. It can install more than one OS from multiple iso files on a flash drive. Extremely useful if you dual or triple boot like I do. Ubuntu 12.10, Windows 7, Windows 8.

Squall38

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

I too like to thank you for this information, I have being trying for a day to make a USB bootable from a non standard ISO Linux... and this helped! :) Thanks again!

Bryllars

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

Why not write a version in English for those of us who don't know what ANY of these things are?

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

Thanks, this solution worked for me (windows) and the software is lightweight and straight forward. Files from the ISO were not copied automatically though, I had to do it manually once the USB key was made bootable.

Didn't work for me, this tool didn't detect my 30Gb Sandisk USB Drive, which was correctly detected and formated by isotosub.

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hi Lourson!

I'm glad I was able to help, and that you were still able to copy your files. I personally keep all my documents and media on a separate, external hard drive and reinstall my OS every six to eight months, to keep things fresh.

Ninite is a website that allows you to download almost every application you could ever need, all in one go. With separate media storage, and Ninite's assistance, the whole process takes roughly 1.5 hours.

If you ever need to install Linux from a flash drive, try my above mentioned link to a tool called 'Rufus' which functions in almost the exact same way as ISOtoUSB. Pendrivelinux is a worthy mention here as well.

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
Excellent, I didn't knew about Ninite, I'll give it a try. I tend to avoid those kind of tools in the past as they are often scams trying to install something else on your machine. If Ninite is actually a legit software, then that's a great things to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.