Motherboard tier list: Other AM3+ chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other AM3+ chipsets (880G/ 760G/ etc):

If you’re looking to get a FX CPU, do not go below Tier 1, Tier 2 chipsets are NOT suitable for OCing with ANY FX, due to not good enough Power phases and heatsinks on VRMs. The 800 and 700 series chipsets are quite old, so go for them only if you have absolutely no other options. No M.2/ eSATA/ mSATA ports.

Since most boards based off these chipsets are not suitable for FX CPUs, the quality cannot be said to be upto the mark. Even if they do support FX CPUs, one should not pair any of them with FX 8. Only Tier one with FX 6. Look into tier description for more info.

NOTE: None of the motherboards are fit for OCing FX 8 in these chipsets' Tier list, refer to 990FX, 990X and 970 chipsets for that purpose.

Tier One: Fine quality. Good boards with fine enough thermals and power phases to contain FX 6, even OC it. Quality is decent for the price. Do NOT pair FX 8 with them, they may take the load of FX 8, but Power phases will not be good enough. No Crossfire/ SLI capability.

GA-78LMT-USB3
M5A78L-M/USB3 (See NOTE)

NOTE: M5A78L-M/USB3 does NOT have heatsinks on VRMs so don’t expect high OC on this board. It’s quite fine for stock speeds however.

Tier Two: Poor quality. Bad power phases and no heatsinks on VRM make this tier more like ‘lowest’ tier for AM3+ boards, not advisable for FX 6 or 8. No Crossfire/ SLI capability. In all probability, you’d not want to have them unless you must get one of them.

M5A78L-M LX PLUS
GA-78LMT-S2P
GA-78LMT-S2PV
GA-78LMT-S2
760GM-P23 (FX)
960GM/U3S3 FX
760GM-P34(FX)
880GM-LE FX
980DE3/U3S3
760GMA-P34(FX)
M5A78L-M LX
M5A78L- LE

NOTE: This thread is a part of the article series 'Motherboard tier list'.

gyuuula

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I have an M5A78L mobo with an FX-8300 @4Ghz. I put heatsinks and two 40mm fan on top of the VRM. It tops around 65C° during gaming, with a 15min torture test it went up to 80-85C°. With enough cooling, even a crap mobo can perform I quess =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS