Data corruption, probable hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp_1896

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
I am in desperate need of some help, for my PC is currently unusable. Now, I know win10 is a preview and as such is subject to bugs and stuff, but I'm pretty confident this is a hardware issue, because it has been manifestating in my windows 7 original install, only win7 kept working (barely, I must add) afterwards. I am only trying to pinpoint where exactly is the issue, so I can replace the correct component
About two months ago, I was trying to use a USB gamepad on my pc to play on the living room, which required an usb extension. When I plugged my extension on the pc, the computer imediatly turned off, and since been having lots of issues.
Most often, it BSODs. I also noticed that slowly, everything in my pc got corrupted. Music, documents, videos, Torrent downloads that never finished.
So I formated my pc and upgraded to Windows 10 (back then, build 9926). The upgrade was great and the OS ran smooth, but after a while, the first blue screen came, and all the modern items in the interface stopped working (Start Menu, Metro Apps, Action Center, wi-fi pop up, Cortana), but the old (legacy) apps ran fine (Steam, iTunes, File Explorer, Office).
I kept using my pc, but it frequently got sluggish. Then the second blue screen happened, and most of the apps got corrupted (I noticed it through Steam, because my games stopped working and I had to "check file integrity", which lead to an almost whole redownload of them). The blue screens became frequent, and one day, the system just woudln't start, presumably because the system files got corrupted.
Since then, I've been formating my pc frequently, trying to clean install windows 10 (I got an RTM ISO on a flash drive, but can't make a win7 iso right now). What happens is: I install Windows 10, it runs smoothly for a few hours. When I start multitasking (Not heavy, I must note. I usually browse the internet while listening to music on Groove) I get a Blue Screen. It is usually one of the two messages "UNHANDLED STORE EXCEPTION" or "MEMORY MANAGEMENT", but it varies. When i return, once again, modern interface is gone. Action center, for some reason, works. Settings app works, barely so, most settings make the app crash. Start menu, all modern apps, cortana and search, everything gone. Not long after, BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO appears in a BSOD when starting. It tries to repair and offer advanced inicialization, but nothing works: Refreshing, updating, safe mode... Only solution is formatting and installing the system once again.

Now, I had simillar problem with an older Hard Drive, in windows 8.1. Modern apps stopped working and BSOD were frequent, but it was a really old hard drive, and the HD I have now is new. Less than a year old.

My system config:
Intel Core i3
Seagata 1TB hard drive
Asus P8H61-M LE motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM Memory
Nvidia 9500GT Grpahics Card.

Which of these componentes could have been damaged by the USB short circuit and is causing this issue? Considering the MEMORY MANAGEMENT, I am assuming it could be either HD or RAM, but my father pointed out it could just be the cables, because both HD and RAM are very new to have this kind of issue.

Solution
Hi there jp_1896,

From the things you've described, it seems that the HDD is failing. In case your system boots properly, you can use some of these tools in order to test the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
In case your system doesn't boot properly, you will need some HDD testing tool for DOS.

It is always a good idea to try connecting the drive with different cables and to a different port. Also, you shouldn't keep important data on the drive until you sort this out.

Regarding your RAM, I guess you can test it as well: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Hi there jp_1896,

From the things you've described, it seems that the HDD is failing. In case your system boots properly, you can use some of these tools in order to test the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
In case your system doesn't boot properly, you will need some HDD testing tool for DOS.

It is always a good idea to try connecting the drive with different cables and to a different port. Also, you shouldn't keep important data on the drive until you sort this out.

Regarding your RAM, I guess you can test it as well: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts