Seagate 4 TB External hard drive (error 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I have a 4TB External Hard drive from Seagate that has stopped working ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I checked this drive in device manager and the driver it uses is the USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device. It give me a CODE 10 error
This drive works on my laptop (windows 10) so I figured its a problem with my desktop.
I have took the following steps in attempt to fix this problem

Replacing usb cable with a know working cable

plugging the usb cable to several other working usb ports

reinstall driver via uninstall then scan for hardware changes in device manager

restart computer

shut down computer, unplug all cables and wires, wait for half an hour and replug wires back to computer and starting up the computer

Unplug power supply and usb cable from external hard drive and replugging it back in 10 minutes

update driver software

reformatting my External hard drive

reinstalling windows 7 (works on windows 7) then upgrading to windows 10 (error 10)

reset windows 10

checking for drivers on the Seagate support site (no drivers found)

Is there any solution that I might have missed?

Solution
Hi there 309744324,

This is clearly a driver related issue.

So you have tried: Uninstall the device in Device Management -> plug it out -> reboot -> plug it back in right?
My next suggestion would have been to go to your MOBO's site and download Win 10 drivers, but it seems that there is no such option.
It may be a good idea to contact their support on that. :)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Hi there 309744324,

This is clearly a driver related issue.

So you have tried: Uninstall the device in Device Management -> plug it out -> reboot -> plug it back in right?
My next suggestion would have been to go to your MOBO's site and download Win 10 drivers, but it seems that there is no such option.
It may be a good idea to contact their support on that. :)

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I definitely tried that, and pretty much all variation of that under the sun, a manual reinstall (Browse my computer for driver software ---> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer) of the driver tells me:
"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device
Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it."

I have tried calling Seagate support, but they haven't told me other solutions than the ones listed above, then they asked if my product was still under warranty which wasn't
:(

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Ahhh, that's what you meant, thanks for the clarification, I'll contact them with my fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.