SSD and Samsung Magellan software clean install windwos 7

Farkle333

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
Hi my question is I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO SSD now I want to do a clean install of windows 7. I would like to know what steps to take to get this done.
If I read Samsung support facts right I need to update the SSD and Samsung says just use Magellan when installing SSD but Its a new drive?

1..So should I Install windows 7 new/fresh and then Magellan then update/flash the ssd?
"or"
2.. Install Magellan on the old HDD spin drive and install Magellan and update the SSD using the usb connection?

Either way using Magellan to update/flash and set up the new SSD I understand there are 3 options to set up the drive.
Max Performance / Max Capacity / Max Reliability.....(I will use max performance)
can I do that after a fresh install of windows 7 or should that be done via usb before installing the OS?
Thanks!

I would install the SSD to a sata port in your current comp system. The install the samsung software and up date the firmware and then do a secure erase afterwards. Next uninstall the boot drive and any other drives and install the SSD in a sata drive where you want it. Boot into BIOS and make sure that AHCI is enabled the rest of the BIOS is set correctly, like the memory speed & timings. Save settings and exit bios and install windows. After the board drivers and etc and loaded and your comp is running right, install any other drives that you want for storage or what ever.

Farkle333

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013

The Samsung magician has the option to secure erase the SSD. It zero's out the whole drive and fast too. It's best to do this before installing an OS. The samsung magician is a good perk to the SSD and has other helpful options too.