System Reserve Partition On Wrong Drive

Adam Ashworth

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hi all,

I just installed a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and then installed Windows 10 to it. I was previously duel booting Win10 and Win7 as I didn't want to fully commit to Win10 until I had some time with it. I decided I like it enough to have it as my sole OS so when I got my new SSD I've formatted the two old drives containing Win10 and Win7 and just did a clean install of Win10 on the new SSD.

After the installation I wanted to join the two old drives together using storage space because I have also ordered a 4TB HDD and wanted to consolidate my other ones into one drive. It was when i did this I noticed that the system reserve folder was still on the old drive and no matter what I do I can't deactivate it or delete the partition.

So yeh any help as to how to remove the partition from that drive would be much appreciated.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
You probably tried formatting from within your OS and that isn't as clean as a straight format directly from boot or setup of Windows. What you do for example during after you booted to the Windows setup:
1. Press Shift+ f10.
2. In the console type DiskPart
3. Then type list disk
4. Select the hdd you want to completely wipe the partition by typing select disk x. *x is the number.
5. type clean
6. type create partition primary align = 1024 (this is necessary and 1024 is the baseline anything more is pointless)
7. type format fs = ntfs and NEVER do fs = ntfs quick. (btw this should take some time).
8. type exit
9. type exit again to completely leave the console.
10. restart and now that section partition should be complete gone.

Good luck~