How to Fix DNS Event 1014?

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I don't have any Internet problems but I notice that I have: Event 1014: Name resolution for the name _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.WORKGROUP timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Solution
some program is making a DNS querry with a invalid name, it will always return a error for this case and you can ignore it.
if you know what software is making the query you might get a update but most likely no one would bother to make a fix. somewhere some program tried to find out your domain and took the default value of workgroup as being valid. workgroup, homegroup and domain are some of the defaults microsoft has used over the years. homegroup is the most current default. These are used to share files between machines where there is no central control of the machines.
(generally less than maybe 30 machines in a small office or maybe 5 at home.

Workgroup is just a default name entered in the place of a domain name for systems that really not part of domain structure.
ThAt is you do not log in to a corporate server with its own domain controller and account validation.
If LDAP tries to validate on any of the "fake" ie not really domains (workgroup.homegrown,domain) it will just not get a response when it tried to talk to the domain controller. Just like what would happen I you had made a typo in the domain name.

I would think a domain name server would never respond to this request. I would hope the software would not even send out the request.

Alyus

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I don't understand the article provided since it didn't show me how to edit DNS* or the following comment by John (as to how to fix Event 1014).

I think Event 1014 has to do with the Internet but since I never had Internet issues, I'll have to follow the age old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

*I know nothing about computer software.

some program is making a DNS querry with a invalid name, it will always return a error for this case and you can ignore it.
if you know what software is making the query you might get a update but most likely no one would bother to make a fix. somewhere some program tried to find out your domain and took the default value of workgroup as being valid. workgroup, homegroup and domain are some of the defaults microsoft has used over the years. homegroup is the most current default. These are used to share files between machines where there is no central control of the machines.
(generally less than maybe 30 machines in a small office or maybe 5 at home.

Solution