Windows 10 creation tool wiped USB!

• Thread starter Deleted member 1694414
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1694414

So basically I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because of other reasons that dont matter.

Point is, I used my work USB that had over 20gb of extra memory on it and the site said it would not wipe it. WELL IT DID

It is so CRUCIALLY important that I get these files BACK. I put all of them in a folder called #TEMP# to mark for later that those files would only temporarily be put in there until I remove the windows 10 boot installer from the USB.

Afterwards I used the creation tool and set it to make a version on a USB since thats how I always do it. After it said complete I went into the USB and there was NO #TEMP# folder

I need help REALLY badly because this is extremely important!

EDIT: It says "The files on your USB drive will be deleted. TO keep these files,...." blah blah blah in TINY letters underneath the title in the setup program

Solution

It says it in pretty BIG letters that the drive will be reformatted and even has a confirmation prompt.

That said, you might be able to recover some files using a file recovery software like recuva. If that doesn't work, tough luck, learn to back up data!

Solution
D

Deleted member 1694414

No your wrong. As I had assumed, the files were gone on the software but I was able to recover them since they hadnt been wiped over by other files due to the large size of the USB.

I did so using the EaseUS data recovery program I found here: http://www.easeus.com/resource/drive/usb-flash-drive.htm

Omg that was really scary man. Good thing we have programs like that to help :)

EDIT: I see the other solutions now as well, yes that is what I did, I used a program to recover them no problem since it was right away

USAFRet

Titan

You were very lucky. That is not always the case.
Have you actually looked and verified the files are 100%?

D

Deleted member 1694414

The files are 100% as I left them. Or at least the ones that I need. Yes I know I am lucky, and yes that usually isnt the case which is why I was freaking out alot. Let my mistake be a lesson though :no:

Yup, it's a good opportunity to learn to back up! I personally have all flash drives mirrored on the cloud, since that's pretty much the same concept. That and a 3TB mirror and 5TB offline drive ;)