Internal Components, Software, And Accessories
Intake vents to the left and below the decorative center grille allow air to reach key components.
That single fan cools both the CPU and GPU via a complex heat pipe arrangement that could somewhat limit the unit’s upgrade capability in the future.
Specific to this model G51J-A1 are the two 2.0GB Samsung DDR3-1066 memory modules and twin 320GB Seagate 7200.4 hard drives. The G51J BIOS provides no mode selection for the hard drive controller, so setting these in RAID is not an option. For benchmarking purposes, it’s best to consider only the single drive that’s being tested, since the other is nothing more than added storage.
The Asus G51J includes a full set of documentation, a complete set of backup software, a warranty card, lens cloth, a power supply, and a cable strap. The power unit is rated at 19V and 6.32A (120W).
Packaged applications include:
- Asus Data Security Manager (file encryption and password management)
- Power4Gear Hybrid (power management profiles)
- WinFlash (BIOS update utility)
- LifeFrame 3 (camera application)
- Asus SmartLogon (face-recognition login)
- ControlDeck (Asus application manager)
- Virtual Camera (camera profiles)
- Asus Live Update (drivers)
- Asus FastBoot (application manager)
- Asus Wireless Console 3
- Asus FancyStart (boot themes)
- Asus NBProbe
- Asus Splendid (image enhancement)
- Asus AI Recovery (hard drive imaging)
- Asus ExpressGate Installer
- Asus Screen Saver
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy HD (software audio control)
- Adobe Reader
- TrendMicro Internet Security 2009
Asus also sent along a custom-branded backpack and a Razor Copperhead laser mouse. We’ve seen that some resellers advertise these as part of the kit while others don’t. Packed in a shipping box along with the notebook’s retail box, buyers who really want these accessories should pay careful attention to seller details.