Closed

HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks....

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

All...

I have, like many of you, been the unfortunate owner of an HP
Pavilion-series laptop with the infamous weakling power-jack problem.
If you're wondering, this problem is usually typified by symptoms like:

* Spontaneous and instantaneous power-downs of the laptop for no
apparent reason
* Refusal to start or charge a properly inserted battery
* Movement of the AC power adapter plug causing power "glitches"
* "Clicking" noises emerging from the area near the power plug

There are other permutations of the power problems, but this represents
the general theme. I owned a zt1175 that started behaving this way, and
was stunned to discover that once the unit stopped booting up, the only
solution was a new main board at a cost of about $600 - the plug had
started arcing internally and essentially fried the rest of the power
system, and ruined other components in the process.

I've learned that my zt1175 isn't the only one with this problem.
Apparently, myriad variations of Pavilion models suffer from this
chronic design flaw, which apparently HP steadfastly refuses to
acknowledge or support.

I personally think HP should be responsible and accountable for the
defects in their products. I am trying to determine if there are any
other HP laptop owners who have seen their systems come to an untimely
demise because of their power problems, and if sufficient interest is
shown, explore the possibility of some type of class-action against HP.

I have opened an email account at HPLaptopUsers@yahoo.com to collect
information from individuals willing to provide data about their HP
Pavilion laptop power problems. If you are a cuurent or former owner of
an HP Pavilion laptop that has exhibited any of the power problems
described above, and you're willing to share, please send the following
to the above address:

1. Your actual name
2. A real return email address at which you can be contacted.
3. The specific HP laptop you have/had
4. How long you had it
5. The specific type of power problem you encountered
6. Steps you took with HP or third-parties to have it repaired.

Now, I realize some of you will say, "yeah, send all this stuff to some
unknown guy on the Internet, and you'll get a flood of junk mail." Not
so. I am not a spammer, I'm not a junk-mail relay or anything, I'm just
trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and the
project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
steps as I learn what to do next at each step.

My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops, or
provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.

-David Whitney

Note: REplies to the email address posted above
(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond as
soon as I can.
76 answers Last reply
More about pavilion laptop owners power jacks
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    The address to which laptop info should be sent is HpLaptopUser
    @yahoo.com. I post that again because it appears the original message
    did not retain the address properly...

    -David

    intrepid_dw@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]
    just
    > trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
    > arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
    > don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
    the
    > project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
    > steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
    >
    > My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
    > chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
    or
    > provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
    >
    > -David Whitney
    >
    > Note: REplies to the email address posted above
    > (intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
    > active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    The address to which laptop information should be sent is HPLaptopUsers
    at yahoo.com. The original posting did not correctly capture the
    address.

> [...]

    just
    > trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
    > arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
    > don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
    the
    > project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
    > steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
    >
    > My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
    > chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
    or
    > provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
    >
    > -David Whitney
    >
    > Note: REplies to the email address posted above
    > (intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
    > active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    As the power socket is mounted on the system board it is subject to a
    great deal of stress when users knock or pull on the power jack. This
    problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.

    HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
    replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
    much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).

    If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
    jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
    which is often all that is required.

    The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you will
    be up for a reasonable labour charge.

    Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
    laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :-)) that the problem
    mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
    their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.

> [...]
    >
    > just
    >
    >>trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
    >>arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
    >>don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
    >
    > the
    >
    >>project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
    >>steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
    >>
    >>My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
    >>chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
    >
    > or
    >
    >>provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
    >>
    >>-David Whitney
    >>
    >>Note: REplies to the email address posted above
    >>(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
    >>active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Primatech:

    I appreciate your response. I have to respectfully disagree with you
    that it is common across laptops. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop
    that is designed to receive the AC power jack fully 80% of its length
    into a snug receptacle. It doesn't wiggle. The AC power connector to my
    previous HP laptop barely went in 50% of its length, and often just
    fell out/off because it did not fit securely on the male portion of the
    jack. Further, the hole in the case designed to receive the connector
    is fully half-again as large as it needs to be. That means there is
    inherently "play" in that connection. Combined with a poor jack design
    (as has been described to me by other tech people, so its not an
    arbitrary opinion on my part) and this is a recipe for premature
    failure.

    As far as "heavy-handed" use goes, my Pavilion never left my house - it
    was a unit I used for the convenience of not having to be tethered to a
    desk to do various development tasks. It was never dropped, bumped, or
    handled in what I would describe as a "rough" way.

    Unfortunately, what most users (a group in which I must include myself)
    discover is that when the power failures become chronic, it is no
    longer just a matter of a badly soldered or loose power plug. Internal
    arcing from the power jack has scorched elements of the power control
    module, thus frying it "beyond economical repair." And this was not a
    hack shop; it was a reputable repair center recommended to me.

    As far as the generality of the problem goes, I can only offer this.
    Another acquaintence (actually, at least three) of mine who has had a
    Gateway (the specific model escapes me at the moment) laptop for years
    longer than I, takes it to and from work every night, has traveled
    literally around the world with it, and has had no such power
    connection problems.

    I realize two or three data points does not a conclusion make, but I
    must make the inference that *someone* is designing their jacks/power
    systems more intelligently than HP. And if such problems were truly
    ubiquitous across all manufacturers and brands, there would be more of
    a general outcry rather than the ones I see that tend to be most
    frequent around HP.

    At a minimum, users paying anywhere from $1600 to several thousand
    dollars for a laptop shouldn't really have to be so inordinately
    concerned about the fragility of one component, one that would thus be
    so chronically delicate as to mitigate against the utility of having a
    laptop in the first place.

    -David
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Primatech,

    The problem does NOT mainly arise when the user is careless or heavy handed.
    My Pavilion never left the desk it was put on after coming out of the box,
    and I had only 3 months of use before it failed.
    HP knows that this is a worldwide well-known problem with Pavilions, but
    they choose to deny it.......
    Even when the laptop is still under warranty HP likes to give you a hard
    time; their Pick up & Return policy does not work, because they seem to
    forget the part where they are supposed to fix it.
    I've had the motherboard replaced twice now, the first time I got it back it
    did not work at all, the second time it worked for about an hour and then
    made a sort of electric buzz and then closed it eyes for good.
    Replacing motherboards with ones they got out of other returns is not a good
    policy.

    Now, I'm still waiting (after 11 days) for a reply from them to either fix
    or replace it again.

    Pippa.

    "primatech" <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> schreef in bericht
> [...]
    > >
    > > just
    > >
    > >>trying to get info from customers as dissatisfied with HP laptops
    > >>arising from a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. If I
    > >>don't get enough response, no one will ever hear from me again, and
    > >
    > > the
    > >
    > >>project will die on the vine. If I do, the project will proceed in
    > >>steps as I learn what to do next at each step.
    > >>
    > >>My point in all this is to make HP accountable for their poor,
    > >>chronically defective hardware design. They should fix the laptops,
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > >>provide new/refurbished ones to current owners.
    > >>
    > >>-David Whitney
    > >>
    > >>Note: REplies to the email address posted above
    > >>(intrepid_dw@hotmail.com) are discarded, as the account is no longer
    > >>active. If you send info to the HPLaptopUsers address, I'll respond

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
    Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this is the
    worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of metal
    that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started to loose
    up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they replaced
    with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.

    I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
    systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to save a
    few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good quality
    parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.

    Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
    My two cents.

    Pippa wrote:

    > Primatech,
    >
    > The problem does NOT mainly arise when the user is careless or heavy handed.
    > My Pavilion never left the desk it was put on after coming out of the box,
    > and I had only 3 months of use before it failed.
    > HP knows that this is a worldwide well-known problem with Pavilions, but
    > they choose to deny it.......
    > Even when the laptop is still under warranty HP likes to give you a hard
    > time; their Pick up & Return policy does not work, because they seem to
    > forget the part where they are supposed to fix it.
    > I've had the motherboard replaced twice now, the first time I got it back it
    > did not work at all, the second time it worked for about an hour and then
    > made a sort of electric buzz and then closed it eyes for good.
    > Replacing motherboards with ones they got out of other returns is not a good
    > policy.
    >
    > Now, I'm still waiting (after 11 days) for a reply from them to either fix
    > or replace it again.
    >
    > Pippa.
    >
    > "primatech" <graeme@NOSPAMprimatechnologies.com.au> schreef in bericht
    > > As the power socket is mounted on the system board it is subject to a
    > > great deal of stress when users knock or pull on the power jack. This
    > > problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.
    > >
    > > HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
    > > replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
    > > much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).
    > >
    > > If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
    > > jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
    > > which is often all that is required.
    > >
    > > The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you will
    > > be up for a reasonable labour charge.
    > >
    > > Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
    > > laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :-)) that the problem
    > > mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
    > > their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.
    > >

    > > intrepid_dw@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > The address to which laptop information should be sent is HPLaptopUsers
    > > > at yahoo.com. The original posting did not correctly capture the
    > > > address.
    > > >
    > > > -David

    > > > like:

    > > > represents

    > > > and

    > > > only

    > > > untimely

    > > > HP.

    > > > of

    > > > following

    > > > some

    > > > Not

    > > > just

    > > > the

    > > > or

    > > > as

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price without
    regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech support
    deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody wants
    low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low price and
    twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
    PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
    >Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this is the
    >worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of metal
    >that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started to loose
    >up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they replaced
    >with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
    >
    >I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
    >systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to save a
    >few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good quality
    >parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
    >
    >Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
    >My two cents.

    <SNIP!>
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Cheap?
    The Pavilion cost me 1500.- euros which is 1959.- USD!
    Maybe that is cheap for you, but for me that is a whole month netto wages...
    I was not looking for cheap, that's why I bought this one and on it's own it
    is a good machine but totally let down by the connectors HP puts in it and
    by
    the way they run their tech-support; a guy sounding like a 12-year-old who
    doesn't understand what you are talking about should not be employed.

    By the way, I finally got the shop to take it back and bought a Toshiba for
    the same money.

    Pippa.

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schreef in bericht
    > It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price
    without
    > regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech
    support
    > deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody
    wants
    > low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low
    price and
    > twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
    > PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
    > >Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this
    is the
    > >worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of
    metal
    > >that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started
    to loose
    > >up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they
    replaced
    > >with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
    > >
    > >I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
    > >systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to
    save a
    > >few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good
    quality
    > >parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
    > >
    > >Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
    > >My two cents.
    > >
    > <SNIP!>
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    You're right. 1500 Euros is not cheap. Sadly, the same mentality prevails
    across the board in the computer industry. Yeah, the emphasis is on cheap
    desktop and tower computers, but the designers and marketeers responsible for
    notebooks get caught up in the cheaper-is-better mindset. Add to that the fact
    that neither HP nor any other name brand company builds its own computers any
    more. They all rely on contract electronics manufacturers (CEM), but twist the
    nuts of the CEMs at the same time. I would claim that there was an inadequate
    review of the hardware design, construction and maintainability of the HP dog of
    a notebook that you had there... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:45:33 +0100, "Pippa" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

    >Cheap?
    >The Pavilion cost me 1500.- euros which is 1959.- USD!
    >Maybe that is cheap for you, but for me that is a whole month netto wages...
    >I was not looking for cheap, that's why I bought this one and on it's own it
    >is a good machine but totally let down by the connectors HP puts in it and
    >by
    >the way they run their tech-support; a guy sounding like a 12-year-old who
    >doesn't understand what you are talking about should not be employed.
    >
    >By the way, I finally got the shop to take it back and bought a Toshiba for
    >the same money.
    >
    >Pippa.
    >
    ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> schreef in bericht
    >> It's not just the bean counters. People who shop on the basis of price
    >without
    >> regard to product quality, service, warranty, spare parts, and tech
    >support
    >> deserve exactly what they get. Buy cheap and you get cheap. If everybody
    >wants
    >> low price, the name-brand manufacturers cut every corner to get a low
    >price and
    >> twist the nuts of the suppliers to get ever cheaper parts... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:06:15 GMT, Dewaine Chan <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM
    >> PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Got a lot to do with the type of the connector that is used. Just fixed a
    >> >Gateway Solo 1400 with the same problem. Upon opening the Laptop, this
    >is the
    >> >worst connector I've seen. It is helped in place by one little piece of
    >metal
    >> >that just from plugging and unplugging the cord, the connection started
    >to loose
    >> >up and ended up with gap that caused arching. Thing is that if they
    >replaced
    >> >with the same bad design, you will get the same problem soon or later.
    >> >
    >> >I've seen a lot of Desktop type of motherboard with capacitors leaking on
    >> >systems that are a little bit over a year old too. Everyone is trying to
    >save a
    >> >few pennies on components that they don't really bother much with good
    >quality
    >> >parts. Sad modern day costing by the bena counters.
    >> >
    >> >Unfortunately, it is not easy to get class action status.
    >> >My two cents.
    >> >
    >> <SNIP!>

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    We did not said you bought a cheap laptop. What Ben is referring to is that everyone
    is trying to cut cost to maximize profit. When I was a product design and testing
    engineer for IBM back in the late 80's & early 90's, we used to have an engineer
    doing what is called MTBF (Mena Time Before Failure) on the product based on
    components Spec. I left IBM in the mid 90 and have not worked for other
    manufacturer. I have been in the support end since then. I definitely have seen a
    drastic changes on components used on Desktop computers. All PII and low end PIII
    (slot 1) motherboard (MB) I've dealt with since I came out on my own 2 1/2 years ago
    never have bad capacitors. I actually stripping those old system to get the
    capacitors off to fix the new MB that are just a year or two old. It is true that
    new MB's are cheap but a lot of time, people hate to having to reload the OS and all
    the applications. I just bought an IBM Netvista PIII 933MHz system with bad
    capacitors on the MB today. It is fun time tonight reworking the MB.

    Dewaine

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > You're right. 1500 Euros is not cheap. Sadly, the same mentality prevails
    > across the board in the computer industry. Yeah, the emphasis is on cheap
    > desktop and tower computers, but the designers and marketeers responsible for
    > notebooks get caught up in the cheaper-is-better mindset. Add to that the fact
    > that neither HP nor any other name brand company builds its own computers any
    > more. They all rely on contract electronics manufacturers (CEM), but twist the
    > nuts of the CEMs at the same time. I would claim that there was an inadequate
    > review of the hardware design, construction and maintainability of the HP dog of
    > a notebook that you had there... Ben Myers
    > <SNIP>
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I am just like many others -- bought a HP Pavilion zt1135 and had
    (have) power jack problems. I did use my know-how to repair it once
    with solder, but the problem roots deeper than the solder. By the time
    that you notice that the power jack has issues, the internal components
    of the jack are more than likely melted inside. My repairs lasted about
    a month -- then the inside of the power jack gave out. I transplanted
    another power jack onto the motherboard -- but that proved to be
    unhelpful. Now, after 3 repairs; my laptop is dead and 1,200 dollars is
    down the drain.
    I stand by HP merely because of the name and the typical quality of
    craftsmanship that you buy. It's too bad HP won't do the same. A
    reputable company such as HP should realize the flaws in their design
    and find ways of making it better. Instead, they shrug off such
    attempts by satisfied customers wanting to get their machines repaired.
    A re-inforced DC Power Jack would not be too much more to put onto each
    Mainboard -- and in the long run, they'll get their money back. Toshiba
    is going down a good road. A friend of mine purchased a new toshiba
    satellite, it's plug is designed for fall out should it be bent in the
    wrong direction or put undue stress on the jack.
    For someone to say that it's isolated to someone who's careless
    shows a complete lack of common sense. I am about the most careful
    person with my laptop that you could ever meet. I love that damn thing
    -- but it's time to let it go. It's a shame. Buyers beware -- this is
    bad craftsmanship and you too -- could be out of hundereds, if not
    thousands of hard earned dollars if you buy this product!
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Don't confuse the Hewlett-Packard from the old days with today's
    Hewlett-Packard. The high quality manufacturer of instrumentation was spun off
    as Agilent. The mindset that thought in terms of engineering for high
    reliability departed to Agilent. What remains are people who sell schlock
    manufactured by others way far away off shore... Ben Myers

    On 29 Jan 2005 05:51:54 -0800, jiffylubed@gmail.com wrote:

    >I am just like many others -- bought a HP Pavilion zt1135 and had
    >(have) power jack problems. I did use my know-how to repair it once
    >with solder, but the problem roots deeper than the solder. By the time
    >that you notice that the power jack has issues, the internal components
    >of the jack are more than likely melted inside. My repairs lasted about
    >a month -- then the inside of the power jack gave out. I transplanted
    >another power jack onto the motherboard -- but that proved to be
    >unhelpful. Now, after 3 repairs; my laptop is dead and 1,200 dollars is
    >down the drain.
    >I stand by HP merely because of the name and the typical quality of
    >craftsmanship that you buy. It's too bad HP won't do the same. A
    >reputable company such as HP should realize the flaws in their design
    >and find ways of making it better. Instead, they shrug off such
    >attempts by satisfied customers wanting to get their machines repaired.
    >A re-inforced DC Power Jack would not be too much more to put onto each
    >Mainboard -- and in the long run, they'll get their money back. Toshiba
    >is going down a good road. A friend of mine purchased a new toshiba
    >satellite, it's plug is designed for fall out should it be bent in the
    >wrong direction or put undue stress on the jack.
    >For someone to say that it's isolated to someone who's careless
    >shows a complete lack of common sense. I am about the most careful
    >person with my laptop that you could ever meet. I love that damn thing
    >-- but it's time to let it go. It's a shame. Buyers beware -- this is
    >bad craftsmanship and you too -- could be out of hundereds, if not
    >thousands of hard earned dollars if you buy this product!

  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Don't confuse the Hewlett-Packard from the old days with today's
    > Hewlett-Packard. The high quality manufacturer of instrumentation was spun off
    > as Agilent. The mindset that thought in terms of engineering for high
    > reliability departed to Agilent. What remains are people who sell schlock
    > manufactured by others way far away off shore... Ben Myers

    What's funny is they chose the slogan "Innovating the HP way", which was
    nauseating to most people in the company. I guess slapping an HP sticker
    on an iPod isn't seen as real innovation by people who lack the vision of
    Carly.

    > On 29 Jan 2005 05:51:54 -0800, jiffylubed@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>I am just like many others -- bought a HP Pavilion zt1135 and had
    >>(have) power jack problems. I did use my know-how to repair it once
    >>with solder, but the problem roots deeper than the solder. By the time
    >>that you notice that the power jack has issues, the internal components
    >>of the jack are more than likely melted inside. My repairs lasted about
    >>a month -- then the inside of the power jack gave out. I transplanted
    >>another power jack onto the motherboard -- but that proved to be
    >>unhelpful. Now, after 3 repairs; my laptop is dead and 1,200 dollars is
    >>down the drain.
    >>I stand by HP merely because of the name and the typical quality of
    >>craftsmanship that you buy. It's too bad HP won't do the same. A
    >>reputable company such as HP should realize the flaws in their design
    >>and find ways of making it better. Instead, they shrug off such
    >>attempts by satisfied customers wanting to get their machines repaired.
    >>A re-inforced DC Power Jack would not be too much more to put onto each
    >>Mainboard -- and in the long run, they'll get their money back. Toshiba
    >>is going down a good road. A friend of mine purchased a new toshiba
    >>satellite, it's plug is designed for fall out should it be bent in the
    >>wrong direction or put undue stress on the jack.
    >>For someone to say that it's isolated to someone who's careless
    >>shows a complete lack of common sense. I am about the most careful
    >>person with my laptop that you could ever meet. I love that damn thing
    >>-- but it's time to let it go. It's a shame. Buyers beware -- this is
    >>bad craftsmanship and you too -- could be out of hundereds, if not
    >>thousands of hard earned dollars if you buy this product!

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Dewaine Chan wrote:

> [...]
    >> > problem is not something that is unique to HP/Compaq laptops.
    >> >
    >> > HP (as with most major 'manufacturers')will treat the repair as a board
    >> > replacement issue. They will at best fit a repair/exchange board at
    >> > much less than the new part price (but still costing quite a lot).
    >> >
    >> > If you take your Pavilion to a reputable laptop repairer (not a board
    >> > jockey) they will, in most cases, be able to resolder the connector,
    >> > which is often all that is required.
    >> >
    >> > The laptop needs to be completely dismantled to do this job, so you
    >> > will be up for a reasonable labour charge.
    >> >
    >> > Care should be taken when you have the AC adaptor plugged in to the
    >> > laptop. FWIW I suspect (but I could be wrong :-)) that the problem
    >> > mainly arises where users are heavy handed or careless with the use of
    >> > their laptop when the AC adaptor is plugged in.

    yea, old george (bush) is busy trying to make class actions illegal. good
    ole' george.

    --redpILL

    My laptop is going back for the second time because of the plug
    defect and I don't plug/unplug all the time, just occasionally.
    It's still under warrenty.

    DREW

    My duaghter has a similar problem with her HP laptop. I purcahsed a
    new powwer jack (2 for $40), but I can't seem to separate the bottom
    portion to replace it. I have removed all the visible screws, but it
    seems to be stick near the printer port. Any suggestions????

    Have you taken off the keyboards? There are more screw under them.
    Under the keyboard my laptop has two medal bars accross the top. the
    left one is over the right one and I needed to slide the right bar out
    from under the left one to proceed.
    I also need to replace my power jack. But, I can't find where to buy
    a new one. Any ideas? Also, how are you going to attach the jack,
    solder it?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > <intrepid_dw@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > * Spontaneous and instantaneous power-downs of the laptop for
    > no apparent reason
    > * Refusal to start or charge a properly inserted battery
    > * Movement of the AC power adapter plug causing power "glitches"
    > * "Clicking" noises emerging from the area near the power plug

    Has this been reported on the OmniBook 5000CTS?

    I was just given a "dead" OB5K that exhibits all of the above.
    Sometimes it will actually boot briefly to Win95.

    Any known user field fixes or hacks?

    I emailed hp tech support and they sent me a link which I clicked on
    to order the part.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    HP or Hewlett Packard being the name of the company depending on what
    case manager or outsourced Indian tech support rep (but also manager)
    you talk to calls it. Cutomer damage is what they are calling any
    problem with the power jack, and I am going to scream bloody murder
    until my one-year warranty is honored. NO MORE HP PRODUCTS.

    http://HewlettPackardLies.blogspot.com/
    HPslaughter@yahoo.com
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    it turns out there is a post elsewhere from some lawer type. Alan whats
    your email?

    Alan <ConsumerLxxx@earthlink.com>?

    http://HewlettPackardLies.blogspot.com

    HPslaughter
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
    reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
    about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
    resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
    talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
    they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
    with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
    going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?

    HP fake warranty
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    MEvsHP wrote:

    > continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
    > reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
    > about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
    > resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
    > talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
    > they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
    > with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
    > going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?
    >
    > HP fake warranty

    yea, unplug that doodad BEFORE packing/moving your lappy. that'll keep you
    out of the corn-hole house. your lappy and your anus will thank you.

    --redpill

    I too have the loose AC power connector problem on a Dell Inspiron
    8100 -- that cost about $1800. Hardly cheap. The power assemblies
    themselves are unreliable. I've gone through about 6 of them. And
    the (*&)() at Dell have that ridiculous odd-shaped plug and jack.
    Shame on you Mr. Dell.

    One workaround that worked was to get an AC battery charger, and then
    rotate between the two batteries so that one is in confuser and the
    other is being charged. Eventually you'll lose ground as they
    discharge faster than they recharge. So the confuser is out of
    service for a while until you can catch up.

    I then replaced MBD. That worked great for about 6 months. Now the
    problem has returned on the replacement. Confuser is now 3 years
    old, so question is whether it's worth getting another MBD, or just
    biting the bullet and getting a new confuser. Problem with a new
    confuser is that it will probably have its own slate of issues.

    I boubht the Dell on credit and stopped paying Dell when their product
    stopped working. So far they haven't sued me for their money. I hope
    they do.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I totally agree with you that a company that thinks IT IS OK to produce bad
    product and screw its customer is definitely REPREHENSIBLE. You are
    absolutely right about one thing: Most people just take it laying down and
    not voice their total dissatisfaction and kept quiet. That is why so many
    companies get away with bad products and even worse, follow up services.
    Some of those still DON'T get it even if they keep on loosing money and
    customer. Their solution is to cut employees (HP cut about 18,000 plus in
    teh last couple years). Moving the operation oversea to save a few more
    dollars. I usually feel bad for my customers putting up with my heavy
    accent till I have to deal with a couple big companies' HelpDesk. Could you
    image a Chinese Guy trying to work with an oversea HelpDesk person
    resolving a problem???? It is kind of SAD and FUNNY.

    BTW, Thanks for posting the Standard Phonics. I forgot most of it since I
    left the US Navy 20 years ago.

    Dewaine

    MEvsHP wrote:

    > continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
    > reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
    > about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
    > resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
    > talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
    > they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
    > with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
    > going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?
    >
    > HP fake warranty
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Members of the BBB are the companies about whom complaints are made. So BBB
    complaints, except against small more defenseless companies, are pretty useless.

    Why not contact a governmental agency responsible for consumer affairs. Yes, I
    know the federal consumer affairs are fangless beasts, having had their teeth
    pulled in successive budget cuts by a regime most favorable to and favored by
    big business. But state departments of consumer affairs still have some clout.

    If some computer-chasing lawyer gets his (usually) act together, he can still
    file a class-action lawsuit. But then class actions generally result in
    handsome payments to the lawyers, not the claimants they allegedly represent.

    Best course of action is to boycott HP and tell everyone the facts about how
    lousy the notebook product is and why... Ben Myers

    On 12 Feb 2005 09:07:56 -0800, "MEvsHP" <fullymanual@gmail.com> wrote:

    >continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
    >reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
    >about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
    >resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
    >talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
    >they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
    >with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
    >going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?
    >
    >HP fake warranty

    thats great what are you German?

    Dell has a mass recall of the AC Adapter (PA-6). Did you check if the one
    you have is among the recalled? Then again, if you stopped paying that
    thing, I'll think you will have problem getting a replacement AC Adapter.
    May have your friend to do the AC Adapter recall.

    Dewaine

    dell8100victim wrote:

    > I too have the loose AC power connector problem on a Dell Inspiron
    > 8100 -- that cost about $1800. Hardly cheap. The power assemblies
    > themselves are unreliable. I've gone through about 6 of them. And
    > the (*&)() at Dell have that ridiculous odd-shaped plug and jack.
    > Shame on you Mr. Dell.
    >
    > One workaround that worked was to get an AC battery charger, and then
    > rotate between the two batteries so that one is in confuser and the
    > other is being charged. Eventually you'll lose ground as they
    > discharge faster than they recharge. So the confuser is out of
    > service for a while until you can catch up.
    >
    > I then replaced MBD. That worked great for about 6 months. Now the
    > problem has returned on the replacement. Confuser is now 3 years
    > old, so question is whether it's worth getting another MBD, or just
    > biting the bullet and getting a new confuser. Problem with a new
    > confuser is that it will probably have its own slate of issues.
    >
    > I boubht the Dell on credit and stopped paying Dell when their product
    > stopped working. So far they haven't sued me for their money. I hope
    > they do.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    BTW, there is a Company in NY City advertising that it will replaced the
    broken Power Connector for $200. I forgot what the name of the company
    is. You might have to do google search.

    Dewaine

    MEvsHP wrote:

    > continuing to produce a product with a known design flaw is
    > reprehensible. If thats how you spell it. People should get to hear
    > about it and will from me. In addition, not covering that damage
    > resulting from normal use in a warranty should be criminal. I have been
    > talking with the executive office of customer relations and they say
    > they will close the case adn mark it resolved if I file a complaint
    > with the BBB. Its not resolved, I want to convince them that I am not
    > going to go away. Does the BBB do anything anyway?
    >
    > HP fake warranty
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I must also respectfully disagree with the "rough use" theory. My 9
    month old ZX5000 has been used very carefully, and has the power jack
    problem. I have an old ThinkPad which has seen much heavier use than
    the Pavilion, and it does not do this. The jack/ mounting is poorly
    designed.
    Since I have 3 months left on warranty, HP will repair it, but I have
    lost confidence in the brand, and will probably sell it before I have
    to go through this again.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I too have a bad power connection. It been repaired twice under
    warrantee by changing the motherboard. I get about four months
    out of it.

    DREW
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Hi Drew. Can you tell us if that means you purchased somethign like a
    three year accidental damage warranty? I was told that was the only way
    I would be covered in this situation. And people should know that once
    you file a BBB claim you will no longer be able to talk to an HP case
    manager.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Hi Drew. Can you tell us if that means you purchased somethign like a
    > three year accidental damage warranty? I was told that was the only way
    > I would be covered in this situation. And people should know that once
    > you file a BBB claim you will no longer be able to talk to an HP case
    > manager.

    Just the simple one-year warranty. Had no problems getting fix so far.
    Just like the idea of it only lasting four months.

    DREW

    I have ZT1180 model bought in 2002 @ 2000$.
    I also have the same power problem.
    Because I am out of warranty so did not contact hp support for this
    problem.
    I am thinking to use a docking station to keep the battery charged.
    Has anyone used a docking station for this purpose or that would not
    fix this problem.
    any responses will be appreciated.
    thanks.
    Faran

    If you can test out a dock for it and check without having to be stuck
    with it I bet it is worth a try.

    Good idea.

    Thanks MEvsHP,
    I wonder if I can buy some Universal/Generic Docking Station for this
    purpose. That means even if does not work with this model zt1180, I
    could use it for other notebooks.
    But so far could not see any cheaper than 250$ Docking station which
    can be used with multiple/all notebook models.
    Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Faran

    I dont see that model at online Docks and Port Replicators sellers. You
    should ask HP directly what, if any, would work. I would also consider
    finding an electronics person to resolder the AC pin to the
    motherboard, just make sure they can take the thing apart ok.

    On 11 Mar 2005 09:30:32 -0800
    "MEvsHP" <fullymanual@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I dont see that model at online Docks and Port Replicators sellers. You
    > should ask HP directly what, if any, would work. I would also consider
    > finding an electronics person to resolder the AC pin to the
    > motherboard, just make sure they can take the thing apart ok.

    I'd be more interested in making sure they can put it
    back together OK.

    --
    Stefaan
    --

    It's not only HP that has that problem. I fix laptops every day and I
    see all the brands from the old to the newest with the same problem

    REPLY: BTW, there is a Company in NY City advertising that it will
    replaced the
    broken Power Connector for $200. I forgot what the name of the company

    is. You might have to do google search.

    my xt4316 is doing the power dance, pisses me off.
    My ex laptop, toshiba 1555cds did it .

    the old laptops liek the old grey toshiba bricks(i call them) seem to
    hold up, we have an old toshi and it's a workhorse, it's still working
    after 10 years!

    800tech... I think if you read the post I stated Its NOT only HP and
    Compaqs.. I repair all brands and have seen this issue on just about
    Every laptop made.. We do these for 89.00 plus the return ship fee.
    Unless its a new Dell with the Foxconn connector similar to a Sony
    jack.. These are not available even from the manufacturer and weve
    actually had to on occasion replaced with a different style jack and
    adapter cord.. (Not the end) As these are a 3 lead circuit.. 19V,
    Neg, And a 3v Circuit feeding back to the adapter. Weve also had
    excellent luck upgrading the HP and Compaq as well as Gatewaste jacks
    to a more suitable replacement that holds up better to the current
    draw and heat dessipation.

    > ikenfixitwrote:
    800tech... I think if you read the post I stated Its NOT only HP and
    Compaqs.. I repair all brands and have seen this issue on just about
    Every laptop made.. We do these for 89.00 plus the return ship fee.
    Unless its a new Dell with the Foxconn connector similar to a Sony
    jack.. These are not available even from the manufacturer and weve
    actually had to on occasion replaced with a different style jack and
    adapter cord.. (Not the end) As these are a 3 lead circuit.. 19V,
    Neg, And a 3v Circuit feeding back to the adapter. Weve also had
    excellent luck upgrading the HP and Compaq as well as Gatewaste jacks
    to a more suitable replacement that holds up better to the current
    draw and heat dessipation.

    ikenfixit....Is there a contact number or email address for your
    company? I would rather pay $89 and have a real fix than get an HP
    repair for free under my warranty if it isnt going to hold up. Does
    the $89 include the upgraded jacks? If not what is the cost of this?
    If you cant post your company info here please PM me with the
    info...Much appreciated!

    New Dells have a connector that is fixed to the chassis as well as the
    motherboard. Thats how they come. If you go to a third party repair you
    VOID YOUR WARRANTY. My advice is that you utilize the warranty and
    treat it nicely because its free, and if something else goes wrong, you
    can still use your warranty.

    www.ikenfixit.com is our web address and all of the other info is
    there as well. Glad if we can help out.

    MEvsHP wrote:
    > New Dells have a connector that is fixed to the chassis as well as the
    > motherboard. Thats how they come. If you go to a third party repair you
    > VOID YOUR WARRANTY. My advice is that you utilize the warranty and
    > treat it nicely because its free, and if something else goes wrong, you
    > can still use your warranty.

    I just had my HP nx9005 fixed by OK Computers in Boston. They replaced the
    flimsy HP connector with an all metal threaded through the chassis power
    connecter. I didn't take it apart to see how well the fix (soldering) was
    but the connector seems sold as a rock now. $156.

    Not a recommandation - just a comment.

    /dan

    Ok people..I may have an answer!. I had the same problem and I think I
    have fixed it. My Compaq 3000 had the same problem. The connection to
    the barrel of the power plug is a flimsy material that bends and soon
    does not make significant contact with the barrel or not at all. I
    used a compression coil spring to make more posative contact. It must
    fit VERY closely over the barrel but slide and have very light
    pressure..like a ball point pen spring. Cut off the spring so you
    just have a few coils left. Close the cut end so it will contact the
    barrel. Clean off the flat end of the spring with a file...it may be
    coated to prevent rust...also the cut end that will contact the
    barrel on the inside. Push the spring onto the barrel with the cut
    end that fits tight on the barrel so it will be farthest from the
    computer when the barrel is plugged in. The flat end of the spring
    should now make a better connection and the power curcuit should be
    what it needs to be. The spring should remain on the barrel plug if
    you made it tight enough at the cut end.VERY IMPORTANT: My computer
    uses the barrel end as the ground and the flimsy part of the computer
    connection that is fastened to the case is the ground connection. DO
    THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK...I just fixed mine and it immediately started
    charging the battery...I thought the battery was bad. It also is
    showing it is on 'plug in power' and it would not do that before..it
    just charged the battery at a very slow rate because of the poor
    connection...in fact I would have to turn it off because the computer
    used power faster that the adaptor could charge the battery.

    I have started a wiki for people with broken power jacks (and related
    power/charging issues) on their HP laptops.

    There are links to other discussions on this issue, and even some talk
    about a possible class action suit!

    http://www.seehart.com/MyHPPavilionHasABrokenJack

    - Ken

    I had a Pavilion XT118 a year ago. I bought it refurb (just under
    $1000) and within three months the power supply died. I bought a new
    power supply, only to have the power connector stop accepting power
    within another month. I called HP and to my surprise and relief it
    was still under warranty and they fixed it. Phew.

    Then, last November or so I ended up upgrading to a Pavilion zd7188cl
    (another refurb) for about $1200. This was a great deal on a
    wide-screen, desktop-class notebook (3.2GHz, HT, 80GB HD, etc.). To
    my shock and horror the power supply went on the fritz three months
    later. I got a new power supply and all was fine. For a month.
    Then the power light on the notebook would sometimes blink off. I
    bought a multimeter and tested that the supply is fine. If I jiggled
    the power connector slightly it would come on again. Within a week it
    simply stopped working altogether. Even though the laptop was put
    into hibernate the last time I used it (and should have been at about
    80% power), the next time I tried it to recover some documents, it was
    completely dead. I called HP like the last time. Somehow it wasn't
    under warranty. They want $600 to replace the mainboard. "No, it's
    not a common problem" they assure me. So I Google it and come across
    you. I could just scream. I haven't pursued it again at this point
    (still in denial, actually).

    The laptop generally sits on a desk surface with little movement. No
    rough treatment, very gentle on the power connection. I had planned
    on writing a letter to a higher-up VP and bringing it to their
    attention, and possibly try to get something on Slashdot or The
    Register. I'm very upset about it and am assuming that any tech on
    the phone will follow the stated rules and won't give in. This needs
    to be addressed.

    I would be interested in a group effort. Not sure that class action
    has much chance (how to get enough names?), but somehow I want
    justice. In the meantime I struggle with the issue of paying for
    authorized service or just getting it fixed somewhere. It seems that
    if I get it fixed somewhere else I can't complain to HP anymore as
    they would just say it's no longer their concern. AARRGGHH!!

    Have a detail log of the calls & Email correspondents to HP Tech Supports.
    Have the repair shop gives you full description of the problem and repair
    on the bill. Keep all of the above and if you do ended up filing a claim
    against HP, you have the documents to back it up. Having a picture to
    back it up is always nice.

    Dewaine

    atkulp wrote:

    > I had a Pavilion XT118 a year ago. I bought it refurb (just under
    > $1000) and within three months the power supply died. I bought a new
    > power supply, only to have the power connector stop accepting power
    > within another month. I called HP and to my surprise and relief it
    > was still under warranty and they fixed it. Phew.
    >
    > Then, last November or so I ended up upgrading to a Pavilion zd7188cl
    > (another refurb) for about $1200. This was a great deal on a
    > wide-screen, desktop-class notebook (3.2GHz, HT, 80GB HD, etc.). To
    > my shock and horror the power supply went on the fritz three months
    > later. I got a new power supply and all was fine. For a month.
    > Then the power light on the notebook would sometimes blink off. I
    > bought a multimeter and tested that the supply is fine. If I jiggled
    > the power connector slightly it would come on again. Within a week it
    > simply stopped working altogether. Even though the laptop was put
    > into hibernate the last time I used it (and should have been at about
    > 80% power), the next time I tried it to recover some documents, it was
    > completely dead. I called HP like the last time. Somehow it wasn't
    > under warranty. They want $600 to replace the mainboard. "No, it's
    > not a common problem" they assure me. So I Google it and come across
    > you. I could just scream. I haven't pursued it again at this point
    > (still in denial, actually).
    >
    > The laptop generally sits on a desk surface with little movement. No
    > rough treatment, very gentle on the power connection. I had planned
    > on writing a letter to a higher-up VP and bringing it to their
    > attention, and possibly try to get something on Slashdot or The
    > Register. I'm very upset about it and am assuming that any tech on
    > the phone will follow the stated rules and won't give in. This needs
    > to be addressed.
    >
    > I would be interested in a group effort. Not sure that class action
    > has much chance (how to get enough names?), but somehow I want
    > justice. In the meantime I struggle with the issue of paying for
    > authorized service or just getting it fixed somewhere. It seems that
    > if I get it fixed somewhere else I can't complain to HP anymore as
    > they would just say it's no longer their concern. AARRGGHH!!

Hewlett Packard Laptops Power Computers