Regarding 2000-142 error on Dell Laptop.

Mister Spot

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Greetings.

I have a recent Dell Inspiron 17" laptop that is out of warranty. Last week, it would not get past the windows log in screen; it would just "spin" or freeze.

I ran a pre-boot assessment, and it came back with error code 2000-142 "Hard Drive O Short Self Test Failed", or something like that.

I called Dell and they said the drive likely failed, so I sent it to them for repair. I removed and kept the HD prior to sending it off. The laptop is currently at their repair facility.

Dell called to inform me that the motherboard needs to be replaced because a connection relating to the HD is bad.

I asked if this motherboard HD connection issue could be causing the 2000-142 error. They said I need to replace both.

What I would like to know is if anyone here knows if the HD connection to the board could cause a 2000-142 error? Is it possible that my HD is okay. I don't want to pay for a new board and a HD if I don't need to.

Should I only have them replace the board to solve this HD connection issue and send it back (without replacing the HD), then reinstall my HD and try it out?

Should I just have them replace both the board and HD?

I'm confused about what to do. What would you advise? Since I know little about this stuff, I don't want to be taken advantage of.

Many thanks, and sorry for the length of this post.

Mister Spot

Reputable
May 22, 2015

That's what I was thinking and intended to do, until they informed me of this board/HD connector issue. They have the laptop at the repair facility.

Now I can't tell if this board issue was possibly causing the 2001-142 error or if a bad HD really was issue. I don't know if they are just attempting to get more money out of me for this motherboard replacement.

Can a bad connection to the board from the HD cause a 2000-142 failed HD error? What are the odds of both the HD and connection to the board failing at the same time?

I wish I had sent them the HD so that they could test it, but who knows!

Thanks for responding, by the way.

Mister Spot

Reputable
May 22, 2015

I see. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

I guess I will just have to replace the HD as originally planned. It's just that this newly revealed motherboard HD connection issue is such a surprise; makes me a little suspicious I must admit. I guess there is no way for me to know for sure if there is really an issue with the board at this point. I will just have to trust them and replace both, since they have the computer at the repair facility. I am at their mercy. If they replace the HD only, and not the supposedly-damaged motherboard, then the laptop will not work, I suppose. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Thanks again for the insight.